Help me understand confusing backup terminology

Help me understand confusing backup terminology

by John Isner -
Number of replies: 0
I need help understanding the following backup terminology:
  • student data
  • user files
  • course files
The above three terms occur in the following paragraph, which is from the Backup/Restore documentation (see Moodle docs):

"Screen 1 provides options to select which activities and resources should be backed up. This screen also includes an option to include student data for each of these activities and resources. The bottom of screen 1 asks how to handle meta courses, users, log files, user files and course files. The continue button starts the backup process."

Besides not being very helpful (I can read!), this paragraph introduces a brand new term student data which occurs nowhere on Screen 1. I believe the documentation means user data. If so, then unchecking all the user data boxes should mean that any student-related data will be excluded. Since the boxes apply to various types of activities, I assume that user data includes everything input by students for the activity, or side-effects of such input, like grades. For example, if I uncheck the user data box next to Assignments, then documents uploaded by students will not be included in moddata, and the grades given for such assignments will be erased from the gradebook.

At the bottom of Screen 1 we are given the choice to include (or exclude) user files. But I already told you...no user data! So user files must mean something else. Images from student profiles, perhaps?

Finally, course files. By process of elimination, I conclude that course files are any files which are neither user data nor user files; that is, files uploaded by the teacher to either the Course files area or to moddata. For example, in a Workshop, the teacher uploads two files (1) the instructions (2) the specimen assessment form, and both of these go into moddata. Saying course files = yes should preserve these in the backup, and saying course files = no should remove them. But if I say "no," what's left of the Workshop? To paraphrase Monty Python, Not much of a Workshop, is it?

Average of ratings: -