Images and Files display issue on a MacOS X server

Images and Files display issue on a MacOS X server

by Ames Brown -
Number of replies: 1
A recent installation of Moodle 1.21 on a MacOS X.2 dual G4 is running great except for a path issue related to display of file uploads (running under 4D WebStarV and PHPstar).

Upload of an image for a user profile or an image or other file in a course works fine. Going to the files directory on the server shows that sub directories have been created and the files uploaded. In the case of user profile images, the thumbnail has been created as well. Also using the URL for the real files directory will bring up the user profile image in the browser or download of a document file.

However the moodle generated file paths are not displaying pictures or loading files, i.e.
  • .../user/pix.php/1/f1.jpg
  • .../file.php/1/whatever.doc
In the case of displaying user profile images, selecting 'load image' for the broken image in the browser generates the following error message (path placeholder for easier read):

The image "[directory path]" cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

However there is nothing wrong with the actual image file.

I assume that moodle's own path redirects for the files directory are not being processed correctly. Any ideas on a fix...

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ames Brown

Re: Images and Files display issue on a MacOS X server

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
See the following discussion: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=2123

As far as I know, nobody has been able to get Moodle photos to display under WebStar.  The problem is that WebStar ignores the Moodle generated headers for images and claims that these images are type text/html instead of image/jpg.  This also affects mathematics equation images generated by the tex and algebra filters.  The only available solution, as far as I know, is to replace WebStar by Apache.