Installing Book Module--Info

Installing Book Module--Info

by Dave Bethany -
Number of replies: 4

Just finished installing the Book module (1.6) into MOODLE 1.7.1, took a few tries but everything is working great.

1) Download the module. Rename the folder from Book_16 to Book

2) Place the Book module into the MOD directory

3) Place the language files from the Book zipped folder into the MOODLE lang area.

4) Enter the admin function by doing http://www.mysite.org/admin

This should properly install the module.

If you run into errors, use your PHPMyAdmin (or an SQL manager) to delete the 2 book tables. Also, go into your Logs Display table and delete any references to the book module (normally the last things that will appear)

Now, rerun the admin. Everything should work fine.

Dave

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dave Bethany

Re: Installing Book Module--Info

by Art Lader -
Just popped book into clean 1.8 installation.

Working great. No problems at all.

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

Re: Installing Book Module--Info

by jen jahedkar -
Aagh! Not working for me. I did go in and delete the tables. I'm still getting modulename in the activity drop down list and an unsuccessful install. When I go into /admin I get this uglyness (granted, some because I've already tried this some of the files got created- maybe) :

(mysql): CREATE TABLE mdl_book ( id INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, course INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', name VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', summary TEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '', numbering TINYINT(4) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', disableprinting TINYINT(2) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', customtitles TINYINT(2) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', timecreated INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', timemodified INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', PRIMARY KEY (id)) COMMENT='Defines book'
1050: Table 'mdl_book' already exists

Error

(mysql): CREATE TABLE mdl_book_chapters ( id INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, bookid INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', pagenum INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', subchapter TINYINT(2) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', title VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', content LONGTEXT NOT NULL DEFAULT '', hidden TINYINT(2) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', timecreated INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', timemodified INT(10) UNSIGNED NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', importsrc VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', PRIMARY KEY (id)) COMMENT='Defines book_chapters'
1050: Table 'mdl_book_chapters' already exists

Error

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_log_display (module, action, mtable, field) VALUES ('book', 'update', 'book', 'name')
1062: Duplicate entry 'book-update' for key 2

Error

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_log_display (module, action, mtable, field) VALUES ('book', 'view', 'book', 'name')
1062: Duplicate entry 'book-view' for key 2

Error

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_log_display (module, action, mtable, field) VALUES ('book', 'view all', 'book', 'name')
1062: Duplicate entry 'book-view all' for key 2

Error

(mysql): INSERT INTO mdl_log_display (module, action, mtable, field) VALUES ('book', 'print', 'book', 'name')
1062: Duplicate entry 'book-print' for key 2

Error

book tables could NOT be set up successfully!
In reply to jen jahedkar

Re: Installing Book Module-- Suggestions

by Kaz Madigan -

I have just reverted back from moodle 2.0 to a 1.9.13 install from scratch and everything is OK.

However when I went to install the book module, I intially tried to install the one for 2.0 and not 1.9. 

I deleted the module from the Site Admin>Activities>manage activites, Deleted it from the Mod folder and via PHPMyAdmin in the SQL manager  I also deleted the 2 book tables and the references in the display log to the book module. Theses references were the only one referenced in the errors 1062, duplicate entry which stop the success of the book module install.

I have tried this process repeatedly and carefully but the table keeps getting recreated and then the same errors come up rather than it recognising that it is a fresh request.

My question is, Is there any other configuration I should be aware of to change considering that the wrong version of the book module was a higher version meant for 2.+ rather than 1.9+, and has it left some unwanted residues somewhere??

Thanks for any assistance, much appreaciate.

Kaz

In reply to Kaz Madigan

Re: Installing Book Module-- Suggestions

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

I am sure this could not be it, but I did it once...do you have more than one Moodle database on the server? I once caught myself working/making changes in the wrong database on a server that had five different Moodle installations on it. I kept wondering why my changes were not making any difference till I realized what I was doing.

Another possibility - I had a similar problem once. I fixed it by changing the version number in the module I wanted to install so that its version was one digit higher than the one I wanted to replace. Moodle then would perform the "upgrade" to the "new" version. Just had to remember and redo it it when I updated versions of Moodle later until I did a new from scracth install.

Hope this helps.