Quickmail 1.8 problem -- Need help ASAP

Quickmail 1.8 problem -- Need help ASAP

by Lori Bakken -
Number of replies: 25
I installed the quickmail block in 1.8 and it shows when I'm logged in as an administrator but it doesn't show for a student in a course.

Need help ASAP.

TIA

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lori Bakken

Re: Quickmail 1.8 problem -- Need help ASAP

by Matt Campbell -
I haven't had time to start testing 1.8, but need to get started soon. I'll be coming across this same issue, so if you figure it out, please let me know.

My guess is that it has to do with groups - that will be the major change that may affect quickmail operation between 1.7 and 1.8. Do you see any difference if you use quickmail in a course with groups and a course without groups?

The quickmail block is looking at the course's groupmode setting - you'll find that in the database under mdl_course, and then gets the members from mdl_groups and mdl_groups_members. I imagine that one of these tables has changed in how they get group modes, id, or members.

I'll most likely be hitting this this week and will help if I can.

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Matt Campbell

by Julian Ridden -

Groups has had major changes in 1.8 to allow for the new 'groupings' code. There are now 6 tables related to group information.

i am no expert here, but it looks like groups are now no longer assigned to courses. Instead they are pulled into groupings that contain the course data (I could be wrong though)

It will involve code changes in Quickmail guarranteed to ge this working agin in 1.8

In reply to Julian Ridden

by Lori Bakken -
I figured out what the problem was. It was a problem with the student permissions for quickmail. It was set to inherit - once I switched it to allow it worked fine.
In reply to Lori Bakken

by Matt Campbell -
I spent a little time with it - it does seem to have a problem with groups, however - depending on what you've got the groups set to, the student may not see any other users, or may see everyone in the class!

Thanks,
Matt
In reply to Lori Bakken

by Jürg Hoerner -
I have the same problem. Where can I change it in moodle 1.8, that permission are not inherit?
In reply to Jürg Hoerner

by A. T. Wyatt -
Try this with some caution, but this is what I did and it seemed to work:

1) Users, permissions, define roles then click on student
2) Click edit at the top of the screen, and then scroll all the way down to the bottom. You should see the quickmail block listed.
3) Put the dot in the second column for "allow".
4) Save and exit.

Maybe there is more than one way. I wanted every student in every course to be able to use quickmail, so I thought changing the role setting itself was the proper way to solve the problem.

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Andy Tagliani -
Hello all,

yes in Moodle 1.8.2 the Quickmail Block does not show up in the Roles list and the groups are not working! The next problem in moodle 1.8.2, i check it at this moment in 1.8.1+ is, here is the same problem, when a user (with the right to take quickmail) call for send a mail, he (the user and the block) is outside of the course and on the start page in this moment. You can see it in the breadcrumb, the course link is gone when you call quickmail.

Can this be the problem that we can not use quickmail for groups?

If he send the mail (not to groups), he comes back in the course, if he did not send, he must click many times the return button of the browser to come back to the course or goes the way over the start page of the moodle installation, back to the course

andy
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Albert Adroer -
Hi
What A.T. Wyatt says is exactly what I did, but the problem persists and quickmail doesn't show for students. I'd appreciate any help.

Albert
In reply to Albert Adroer

by Andy Tagliani -
Which moodle version you take Albert? If 1.8 and you install quickmail for this version, there is a bug. I dont know is the bug in quickmail or in moodle ...

andy
In reply to Andy Tagliani

by Andy Tagliani -
Some news,

i install a new moodle 1.8.2 with the last core files, one bug was in moodle, because on the new installation shows me quickmail in the roles list. I did reload the last version of quickmail on another (older) moodle 1.8.2, here shows the quickmail in the roles list too, but there is the error in the breadcrum already exist. But on both installation mail on selected groups are working!

andy

by Albert Adroer -
I first had the problem with version 1.8. Then I updated to 1.8.2 and I have exactly the same problem with quickmail: the students can't see it.

Albert

by Andy Tagliani -
Hi Albert

Did you set the options in the roles, that student can see and use quickmail? quickmail runs on my installation on the latest 1.8.2 and works withou any problems. I try to set that student can see and can use and it works!

Andy

by Albert Adroer -
Hi Andy
Yes! I had already set the role of a student as being able to send emails with quickmail, but this doesn't seem to be the problem. Somewhere I read that with versions 1.7 and 1.8 the Allow Students to use Quickmail setting has been removed. To allow students (or any other role) to use Quickmail, just override the Quickmail block capability called block/quickmail:cansend.
But I don't know how to do this. I understand that if quickmail works fine with your 1.8.2 you did it. Do you know how I can do this?

Albert

by Andy Tagliani -
Hi Albert

First, let me please tell a question. Which quickmail version are installed? I see that exist two different version of this block:

First see here
Second see here

I´m talking over the first entry. If you are talking over the first version too, have you installes the latest version of quickmail? If you are talking over the second entry, i have no experience of that kind of quickmail.

Bye Andy

by Albert Adroer -
I am talking about quickmail (not quickmail for large classes) and of course the version I have installed is the latest.
Albert

by Andy Tagliani -
Dear Albert

You see me without any answer. I remember some weeks ago, i have the same problem. But when i was installed the latest version, the problems are gone. And i remember, see in this thread, that if i copy the last version and visit the admin section, one new table was installed. This was the point, that quickmail works (again) without any problem. I´m sorry if i find no solution for you Albert. The only way, this were i do, delete quickmail and make a new installation with the last version.

Andy

by Dave Kichler -
Albert,

You are correct in that you must set the role capability for the quickmail block to show up for students. And I can explain exactly how to do this wink

If you want to enable all students in all courses to be able to see/use the quickmail block, you must edit the global role capabilities. I believe A.T. covered this process above but I will go over it quickly:
- navigate to Admin -> Users -> Permissions -> Define Roles
- click the edit icon for the Student role
- find the block/quickmail:cansend capability in the list (should be near the very bottom)
- set this capability to allow instead of inherit
This will enable all student in all courses to use/see the quickmail block

To override the capability for specific course only:
- Navigate to the course you wish to enable this block for
- Click the 'Assign roles' link from the Admin block
- from the tabbed links along the top of the roles screen, click the 'override roles' link
- Click the Student role link
- find the block/quickmail:cansend capability in the list (should be near the very bottom)
- set this capability to allow instead of inherit

Setting this capability allows students to see/use the quickmail block

hope this helps,
DK

by Damon Blanchette -
I fixed the breadcrumb problem on our quickmail installation earlier today, but we still don't have the groups working and need help with that. Here's my breadcrumb solution:

Around line 358 there is a block of code
/// Header setup
if ($course->category) {
//$navigation = "<a href=\"$CFG->wwwroot/course/view.php?id=$course->id\" title=\"$course->fullname\">$course->shortname</a> ->";
$navigation = "<a href=\"$CFG->wwwroot/course/view.php?id=";
$navigation .= "$course->id\">";
$navigation .= "$course->shortname";
$navigation .= "</a> ->";
} else {
$navigation = '';
}

I commented out what was there and spread it out on four separate lines, and that fixed it. You have to do the same thing in emaillog.php, but the line number is 144.
In reply to Damon Blanchette

by Andy Tagliani -
Damon yes, that solve this problem really, the first file to change the code for the moodler they did not know is email.php

In the last version i download yesterday are the line:
email.php at line 329
emaillog.php at line 142

Thanks again Damon!
Andy

by Damon Blanchette -
Ah, sorry about not mentioning that first file! Yes, it is email.php.

Andy, do you have groups working? It's a big problem for us.
In reply to Damon Blanchette

by Andy Tagliani -
Hi Damon

I can not try it at the moment, i must setup 30 moodles upgrades until tomorrow. I will check it latest over the weekend if any other user did not post a information before that time. I will not forget and Damon, thanks again, your solution is really great!

Andy

by Andy Tagliani -
Hi all

I got it ... can someone please confirm!?

Course settings, point groups:
- Group mode set here: Separate
- Force set here: Yes

And now it works!
Andy

by Damon Blanchette -
Hi Andy, thank you for posting this! After getting the newest quickmail email.php file from CVS, and turning on Force Groups in the course settings, it worked.

All is good!
In reply to Lori Bakken

by Winn Griffin -

I just updated to 1.8.2+.

Uploaded quickmail to blocks/

Entered the blocks section under Site Admin.

It was there but hidden.

Clicked on the "closed eye"

Open eye appears.

Now can see in old courses and can add to new courses.

Winn