Is it correct that the capability for creating new questions is on course level and not on activity level? Is there any way to give a student such a capability without giving him teacher role on course level?
At the moment it is not possible to give students rights for authoring questions without giving them teacher rights. I was myself disappointed to see that a number of things I was hoping to be able to do with the new roles is in fact not possible because roles are not definable at activity level.
I expect you are aware of this dicussion: Plan for the conversion of the question bank into an activity module, which would solve our common problem, but probably not until 1.9 or 2.0!
this was also the result of my tests and ask to be assured about this. I red this discussion in parts. Thanks for the reminder.
Can you also affirm that it is not possible to give students edit capability to ressources (i.e. page with editor) or to the settings of an activity?
the moodle/question:manage capability doesn't include the edit of new questions.
See my post!
Hi Tim, thanks for your hint, which was however not complete. This is what I have found out, using latest version of Moodle 1.7.1.+
- If you give students the moodle/question:manage rights only, they have access to the Default category (only) where they can:
- view the questions
- edit the questions, save or save as new
- delete the questions
- they can't create their own questions
- they don't have access to any question category other than Default.
- If you give students the moodle/question: manage and moodle/question: managecategory rights then they have the same rights as an editing teacher as regards the management of questions (i.e. create, etc.) and the management of questions categories. This is not quite as expected.
Unfortunately, it means students can edit and delete questions authored by the teacher. In my opinion, this should not be possible. I would like to obtain a situation in which each student could view everybody's questions (teacher & fellow students), could create & edit their own questions, but would not be allowed to edit or delete the teacher's questions or their fellow-students' questions. What do you think?
And it it a bug that moodle/question:manage does not let you create questions. I think I fixed that recently in 1.8, but I can't be bothered to test now.
No, this bug is not fixed in either 1.7 or 1.8...