capability for editing new questions

capability for editing new questions

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I made some tests to give a student rights to create new quiz questions. But I failed with all settings.

Is it correct that the capability for creating new questions is on course level and not on activity level? Is there any way to give a student such a capability without giving him teacher role on course level?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: capability for editing new questions

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Ralf,

At the moment it is not possible to give students rights for authoring questions without giving them teacher rights. I was myself disappointed to see that a number of things I was hoping to be able to do with the new roles is in fact not possible because roles are not definable at activity level.sad

I expect you are aware of this dicussion: Plan for the conversion of the question bank into an activity module, which would solve our common problem, but probably not until 1.9 or 2.0!

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Thanks Joseph,

this was also the result of my tests and ask to be assured about this. I red this discussion in parts. Thanks for the reminder.

Can you also affirm that it is not possible to give students edit capability to ressources (i.e. page with editor) or to the settings of an activity?

Ralf.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Why do you mean it is not possible? If you give them the moodle/question:manage capability, they should be able to edit (and create) questions.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Tim, thanks for your hint, which was however not complete. This is what I have found out, using latest version of Moodle 1.7.1.+

1. If you give students the moodle/question:manage rights only, they have access to the Default category (only) where they can:
    1. view the questions
    2. edit the questions, save or save as new
    3. delete the questions
    4. they can't create their own questions
    5. they don't have access to any question category other than Default.
  2. If you give students the moodle/question: manage and moodle/question: managecategory rights then they have the same rights as an editing teacher as regards the management of questions (i.e. create, etc.) and the management of questions categories. This is not quite as expected.

Unfortunately, it means students can edit and delete questions authored by the teacher.sad In my opinion, this should not be possible. I would like to obtain a situation in which each student could view everybody's questions (teacher & fellow students), could create & edit their own questions, but would not be allowed to edit or delete the teacher's questions or their fellow-students' questions. What do you think?

Joseph

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
For what you want, we need to wait for Jamie Pratt's plans to improve the question bank for Moodle 1.9.

And it it a bug that moodle/question:manage does not let you create questions. I think I fixed that recently in 1.8, but I can't be bothered to test now.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Hi Tim,
No, this bug is not fixed in either 1.7 or 1.8...
Joseph

by Tim Hunt -
Drat! OK, can you make sure it is in the tracker please (I'm really busy this week and won't be able to look into it).
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Reported in MDL-9082