Quiz

Download in excel format

Picture of Hamid Takesh
Download in excel format

Hey guys.

A quick question. is there a way to download the quiz results already ordered by date?
whatever i sort it by on the web, once i download them in excel, the results are not sorted at all. Am I doing something wrong?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Re: Download in excel format
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTestersTranslators

Hi Hamid,

Unfortunately the Download in Excel format export facility for quiz results exports the dates columns (Started on and Time taken) in text format, rather than in real date format. This results in an Excel sheet in which it is quite impossible to sort date columns.sad

One would think that the following would work: in the Quiz Overview window, click on the Started on link at the top of the column; this sorts the column date into chronological (or inverted chronological) order. Then click on the Download in Excel format. Alas! this has no effect on the exported Excel sheet.angry

One solution which does work is to not use the Download in Excel format at all, but, from within Excel, to use Data - Import External Data - New Web Query, and paste into the query the URL of your course's quiz Overview window. Then, when your quiz results are displayed inside that Excel External Data window, click on the Started on link at the top of the column to the column dates into chronological order. Finally, click on the litttle green arrow in front of the Quiz table, and import the date with your Started on column sorted as you wish.approve

One added bonus with this method is that you can save your Excel spreadsheet with its External Date query and refresh it later on, your results will be kept up-to-date. I personally do it all the time to have in an Excel spreadsheet an up-to-date log of my students' visits to my courses. By typing "Excel external data web" in Google you'll find links to Web pages explaining how this works in detail.

Hope that helps,

Joseph

PS.- Please, Moodle developers, could we have a more 'sensible' time/date format in Excel export sheets? Thanks.

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers
I know nothing about the Excel export options, but I am happy to commit a patch if someone else can work out how to do this.

Picture of Hamid Takesh

Thanx alot Joseph, you really helped me out.