Limit to number of questions that can be imported?

Limit to number of questions that can be imported?

by Fiona MacAlister -
Number of replies: 12

I've been trying to import some questions from my 1.5.3 server to my current Moodle 1.7 test server on Windows.  Although I have selected the unlimited questions option it will only let me import 49 questions.

Is this a glitch or is there something that I can do to increase the number of questions that can be imported?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fiona MacAlister

Re: Limit to number of questions that can be imported?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Unlimited questions option? What unlimited question option?

I'm unsure what you are doing. Do you actually mean question import (in which case what format are you using?)?
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Fiona MacAlister -

I am referring to the 'unlimited questions' option when you first set up a quiz.  Are you not aware of it?

To be honest, Howard, I am really beginning to not appreciate the tone of the replies that I am receiving from you on both this and the Installation forum.  I truly  wish I had the amount of time available to me that you seem to have available to you to sit and answer questions all day on these fora.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You have got to be joking!!!

I spent time in the other post trying to help you with your problem(and identified a very likely cause) and in this one trying to establish what your problem might be. And then you make a remark like that! If I am terse it is because I don't have unlimited time to answer questions.

What a prat!

And no, I am not aware of any option called 'unlimited questions' in the quiz - I even searched the language pack and the only thing close is "Unlimited attempts". Which is WHY I ASKED FOR CLARIFICATION!!

Good luck. I wish I had the time to sit about all day like you seem to have writing personal abuse about people.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Fiona,

"I am referring to the 'unlimited questions' option when you first set up a quiz."

Can't see that option. Maybe you could post a screenshot here so we can see what you are referring to? Thanks.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Howard Miller -
Careful Joseph, maybe she will take exception to your tone too tongueout

by Jeff Forssell -
If you look at the Moodle profile for Howard you will find that he is classed:
Group: Particularly helpful Moodlers
I thought maybe you had written the "not" by mistake, until I read your last sentence. I certainly would have felt insulted by that reaction if I were trying to help someone that was asking for help!

I certainly do appreciate both the speed, quality and tone of the replies given by people like Howard and JR. I hope reactions like yours won't dampen their obvious enthusiastic interest in helping others.
In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Fiona MacAlister -

Yes, I am aware that Howard is a "Particularly Helpful Moodler".  To be honest Howard, I thought exactly that when you came back to me so quickly yesterday.  I am extremely pressed for time (being an eLearning department of one, without any technical team) which was the main reason for the brevity of my question.  However, I got the distinct feeling that you replied to my question above without taking time to think about what I was querying and I'm sorry to say that, yes, your reply does come across as terse and implies that I haven't got a clue as to what I'm doing. Yes, I should probably have been clearer in what I was trying to say but why not simply say "I'm not sure what you mean." instead of "Unlimited questions option? What unlimited question option?  I'm unsure what you are doing."  One thing, Howard, that I would certainly never have done is called you a prat.

Here is the drop down box that I am referring to on the 'Add a Quiz' page:

questionsperpage.jpg

Here is what is bothering me: 

Other than the unlimited option, the number of questions per page that it allows goes up to fifty.  I have mine set to 'Unlimited'.  When I try to import 87 Moodle XML questions from a quiz that was created on my 1.5.3 production server, it will only allow me to upload 49 questions.  I am aware that this particular option should not have any effect on the importation of questions but this is happening on both my Windows Test Server and my current Linux production server (with completely different quizzes that are also over 50 questions), both running Moodle 1.7.  I find it strange that, in every case, it is limiting me to an importation of 49 questions and am wondering if it has some connection to the "Questions per page" option.

Or is it simply an incompatibility with questions imported from 1.5.3?

Attachment questionsperpage.jpg

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Fiona,

The confusion arose from the fact that, as you say, there is (should be?) no connection whatsoever between that Questions per page parameter in the Quiz settings and the number of questions "imported". I am still not quite clear about how you "import" those 87 questions from your Moodle 1.5.3 site to your Moodle 1.7 site. Actually, you do not import questions from a quiz in Moodle: you backup/restore a quiz or you export/import a questions category. It would help if you said which of the following export -> import methods you used. I'll call your Moodle 1.5.3 site M153 and your Moodle 1.7 site, M17; your original M153 quiz, Qz1; the questions category where your original 87 questions sit Cat1.

method 1
  1. In M153, do a backup of the course where your Qz1 and associated Cat1 questions -> BK1.zip
    1. full backup BK1a.zip or
    2. only backup Qz1 on its own BK1b.zip ?
  2. In M17, do a restore of BK1a.zip into an existing course, adding data to it.
  3. When do you notice that your newly restored quiz Qz1 only contains 49 questions:
    1. During the backup operation? i.e. you get a warning message telling you that only 49 questions have been imported?
    2. The backup operation goes well, but when you go into Qz1 you notice only 49 questions are there?
    3. The backup operation goes well, but when you go into your questions bank, in Cat1 you notice that only 49 questions are there?
method 2
  1. In M153. The 87 questions which make up Qz1 are contained in questions category Cat1.
  2. You export Cat1 to file, selecting Moodle XML format -> quiz-cf101-cat1-20070323-1852.xml.
  3. In M17, you create a new question category, call it Cat1, import from file quiz-cf101-cat1-20070323-1852.xml. Do you have your 87 questions there?
  4. If so, you can re-create your Qz1 quiz, and re-inject all 87 questions into it? Can you do that?

Hope that helps,

Joseph

by Howard Miller -
I did think about it... I did try and find that option and it wasn't there. So I asked you what you were doing.

I'm not going to bother trying to be reconciliatory - please don't speak to me like that, ok? And I make no apologies for calling you a prat, I wanted to call you a lot worse but common decency prevents it. When somebody gives you a great deal of help for nothing and you make some really rather unpleasant remarks then, yes, you are a prat. Live with it!

by Howard Miller -
Fiona / Others,

Having had the weekend to calm down, I would like to apologize for my rather poor handling of this. I certainly do concede that my original reply "..what option?" was not as helpful as I would like to think I normally am or should be. However my intent was certainly to provide help to a user with a problem and I would hope most people realise that.

I do still think that Fiona's remark was uncalled for and it did make me very upset and angry after I had provided, IMHO, quite a bit of help in the Installation forum. My reaction was, however, a OTT. I would have recommended anyone else to be the "big man" and simply ignore it - do as I say not as I do smile

Anyway, sorry for lowering the tone blush

P.S.
....and if Fiona is still around, I would suggest posting your XML file here and I'll take a look as it may well be a bug in the xml importer!