AP Style Grading?

AP Style Grading?

by Reid Anderson -
Number of replies: 1
I'm not sure if I'm the only out here teaching an AP course using Moodle as a large part of the course, but I would love to see either a modified Quiz module (AP Quiz, for example) or a modified grading option to grade quizzes as if they were AP style exams. For those who don't know, on the AP exams, you don't have to answer all of the questions in order to receive a 5 (the highest available score). Instead, they follow a (convoluted) system in which they subtract a fraction of the number incorrect from the number correct (allowing skipped questions without penalty). From the AP website... "The computer counts how many answers the student got wrong, then deducts a fraction of that number from the number of right answers. For exams with five-choice items, the fraction is one quarter; for those with four-choice items, it is one third. This type of scoring is appropriate for tests where students are not expected to have mastered all of the material that might be tested. With this procedure, the average multiple-choice score under purely random guessing is zero." I, and I'm sure others, would love to be able to give practice tests using the Moodle Quiz Module and have them graded allowing skipped questions according to this scoring system... Any thoughts or suggestions on where to go with this?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Reid Anderson

Re: AP Style Grading?

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
No, you are not the only one teaching AP and using Moodle. This issue is often discussed as negative scoring and it would be nice to be able to handle; however, currently there is no easy way to do so with Moodle. At one point I thought that I had worked out something that would simulate it by giving an option for No Answer which would allow for no penalty; however, since a negative score for a question is not allowed you have add something to it (say 1) and then scale your final scores accordingly. If you search the forums I think I have described it previously in greater detail. Peace.