Mac forum?

Mac forum?

by Joe Griffin -
Number of replies: 12
I've recently moved to a Mac client and was searching this site for any useful info. The search term 'mac' gives me lots of posts for 'Cormac', 'machine' etc. in which are embedded some mac speiific posts. So, how about a Mac forum on Moodle?

Joe
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joe Griffin

Re: Mac forum?

by Tom Murdock -
Try +mac in your search and it will be more specific. approve
In reply to Tom Murdock

by Joe Griffin -
Thanks but it does seem to me that gathering all the Mac postings together woudl be beneficial. Do any other Mac users agree?

Joe
In reply to Joe Griffin

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Scroll down in this forum and you will see a good one...
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=6449

On the seventh posting, you can download an install/upgrade manual for Mac OS X.
In reply to Don Hinkelman

by Joe Griffin -
Don

Thanks for the reply. i did see that posting but I wasn't really after an upgrade/install manual. I just thought that Mac users may have specific problems that could all be gathered together, e.g. I see Moodle slightly differently to PC users. Now this may be because I am using a Mac or for antoher reason. But if other Mac users have posted similare observations then I can easily find these if they are in one forum.

Anyway, it was only a suggestion and if other Mac users are happy with the current arrangement then that's fine by me also.

Joe
In reply to Joe Griffin

by Floyd Collins -

Joe, I agree a Mac users forum would be good for keeping all the mac related information in one place. I do however feel that we need to post general issues with moodle in the already defined support areas. PHP is PHP after all, but I do see what youre saying and think it would be a good idea.

Floyd

In reply to Floyd Collins

by Joe Griffin -
Agreed. It's just that there are some Mac specific issues, I feel (e.g. how Moodle appears in Safari on the Mac). However, as a new Mac user I'm prepared to be put right on this.

Joe
In reply to Joe Griffin

by Pete Misner -
I think it's more of a Mac compatible browser discussion.
After being very impressed overall with Safari...my enthusiasm has dwindled.
However, it seems to work very well for Moodle.  Much better than IE 5.2...that's just no good at all.. 

These days I browse with Mozilla on both the PC and Mac and look forward to Firefox's first stable release.
In reply to Joe Griffin

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Worthy of a discussion maybe but I don't think a forum is warranted.  Otherwise there would need to be forums for every OS/browser combination under the sun.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Ger Tielemans -

A Mac forum could support two issues:

• bring up problems where platform-independent-Moodle has a flaw on the Mac (like my own IE/Intel based change of Gustav's code for "jump to current day from the Calendar")
  • share tips for Mac specific resource production tools
  • for Linux-users such a forum could have the same platform info collection function
  • and for Windows..
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Christopher Phillips -
As a Mac user I always appreciate special consideration, but in the case of discussing a cross-platform project such as Moodle I don't see it being helpful, except maybe for discussing Mac-specific production tools as Ger mentioned, but I think those type of issues would be able to be covered in individual topics of discussion

I think Browser differences would be more relevant for discussion as to how they effect Moodle installations and themes, for example- where people could ask "I'm having this problem (or this new theme or whatever) could people please test it on browsers in whatever OS you have?"
In reply to Christopher Phillips

by Ger Tielemans -

Yes, that is a bigger problem:

• since I try Firefox, I see for the first time in my life rounded corners in Moodle.org,
    I never saw these in IE6
  • When I test special resources in IE6 and then try to play them in Firefox, or Netscape or..
Attachment stscc102.png
In reply to Ger Tielemans

by Steven Day -
This happens using Firefox and Camino on the Mac as well. Actually, Camino is a nice little browser--even though it will not display the HTML editor as Firefox does.