Hot Potatoes XML file?

Hot Potatoes XML file?

by James Phillips -
Number of replies: 6
What is a hot potatoes XML file and how do I create one in Hot Potatoes? I am trying to import a hotpotatoes file into a lesson but keep getting "file format unrecognized" messages. I have tried every export option available on hot potatoes and the hotpot format file itself but I get the same message every time (I am doing a gapfil question). I am guessing this is something that is obvious to whoever wrote the tab, but unfortunately is not obvious to me.

Best regards,

James Phillips
Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Phillips

Re: Hot Potatoes XML file?

by Martin Holmes -
Hot Potatoes data files are XML; Hot Potatoes exercise files are XHTML, which means they're both XML and HTML (XHTML is a form of HTML which is expressed in correctly-formed XML). Data files have extensions such as .jqz (for JQuiz) and .jcl (for JCloze). Exercise files have the .htm extension (usually).

Which type of file are you trying to import, and exactly how are you going about it? Could you give us a step-by-step description?

Cheers,
Martin
In reply to Martin Holmes

by James Phillips -
Thanks for that explanation Martin!

In "update this lesson", I clicked the "import questions" tab and selected "hotpot file format". I tried to import both data files (.jcl) and exercise files (htm). I have moodle 1.7+ installed. Which particular type of hot potatoes file is this filter designed to import?

Best regards,

James Phillips

by Martin Holmes -
That's a question for Gordon, then; it's about the functionality of the HotPot module, rather than Hot Potatoes itself.

However, if you could possibly post the exercise and the data file somewhere on a Web server where we can view them (outside of Moodle), that would help us to see if there's anything odd about this particular file which might cause problems for the filter.

Cheers,
Martin

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi James,
you said you were looking at the "Update this lesson" page, so I think you are using the Lesson module. I am not an expert with the Lesson module, but I don't think it allows cloze questions. You may have more luck importing a JQuiz exercise from a ".jqz" file into the Lesson module. Alternatively, you could try importing the JCloze file into the Quiz module as an "embedded short answer" question. That would work too.

However, you will be even more successful if you simply use the HotPot module instead of the Lesson module to administer your Hot Potatoes exercise wink

all the best
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by James Phillips -
Thanks Martin and Gordon. That is very helpful.

As I have courses in translation I have steered away from the hotpot module simply because I have so many hotpot exercises dotted around my course (around 60, I think). Up until now I have embedded the hotpot exercises in courseGenie along with the teaching content and then plugged coursegenie lessons into moodle as resources. This system works fine to a certain extent but I would rather being going straight into the moodle system itself so I can track the scores in the hotpot exercises. I will go away and have a bit more of a fiddle to work out exactly what I can and can't do.

Best regards,

James Phillips

by Martin Holmes -
Another option is to use the SCORM output from Hot Potatoes 6.2 to create SCORM packages which you can then use in Moodle.

Cheers,
Martin