Stop Mass email after forum post

Stop Mass email after forum post

by Tom Chipchase -
Number of replies: 3
Hi I am just working on my first Moodle Install for a school, and am having a few problems with the forum block. So apologies if this is a newbie question that been asked many times before.

i have recently uploaded all staff and students to moodle. One student decided to make a post on the forum(nothing malicious just testing the forum) which sent an email out to everyone (teachers and students, 1500+ in total)

Obviously this will not be good if the students find out that everyone gets emailed every time a forum post is made, and this will no doubt cause havoc.

So my question is, "How do i stop emails being sent out when a forum post is made". I have looked within the forum block and can't see how i can change it in there.

if the result is that i have to change some settings within the use account, can i do this as a batch change or would i have to change every members user details.

Any help would be most appreciated before i drown in a sea of mischievous students forum posts/ emails

Thanks Tom
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Chipchase

Re: Stop Mass email after forum post

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
You probably have "forced subscriptions" turned on which means everyone will get it. From the forum page you can control this using the little links in the upper right corner.
In reply to Tom Chipchase

by ian lake -

In the forums set up look beneath the description block for these two elements.

The first one controls how discussions and replies are handled, the second deals with who receives posts if this is set to 'subscriptions not allowed' then no-one should receive forum posts.

Can a student post to this forum?: Discussions and replies are allowed No discussions, but replies are allowed No discussions, no replies Help, Can a student post to this forum?
Force everyone to be subscribed?: No Yes, forever Yes, initially Subscriptions not allowed Help, Force everyone to be subscribed?

Ian

In reply to ian lake

by Tom Chipchase -
Thanks Ian and Martin

You were both right, great replies, thanks for the quick response

Tom