Too many participants

Too many participants

by Rafal Zawierta -
Number of replies: 10
Hello.
I have problem with roles.
In every my courses, when I want to print participants, I can see all of course creators and administrators from whole moodle. Is it any chance to hide them?

Regards
R.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rafal Zawierta

Re: Too many participants

by jon s -

I think that you have to unsubscribe all course creators and administrators from your courses.

In reply to jon s

by Samuli Karevaara -
But you can't as they are course creators at the site level, not at the course level sad
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

by Rafal Zawierta -
That's the point - even if I unsubscribe course creator, he's still there.

R.

by cecilia dal bon -
Hi, the some thing happens if add any user in site context...then he will appear in every course...sad
In reply to cecilia dal bon

by Samuli Karevaara -
There is an "eye check box" between the two boxes when assigning roles. Checking it will mark the assignment as "hidden" and then the course creator (for example) will not show as a participant in the courses.

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Rafal,

Please note that users with the capability moodle/site:doanything are not listed as course participants. Usually admins have this capability. Perhaps you could check this on your site (in Admin > Users > Permissions > Define Roles).

Regarding course creators, if you change almost all the capabilities from Allow to Inherit (except moodle/course:create of course wink) then users with this role should not be listed as course participants.

PS. Moving this discussion to the Roles and Capabilities forum...

In reply to Helen Foster

by Samuli Karevaara -
I see that moving the discussion made them "unread" again... Maybe that's tracker-worthy, not sure...
In reply to Helen Foster

by Rafal Zawierta -
Hi Helen!
First - thanks for your help smile
Second - it's not working :/

I've created a new role, eg. Creator2 (with permission: course create - allow).
Then all of my SuperTeachers were moved from CourseCreator to Creator2 group (in main Admin->User->Permissions->Assign roles)

After that when I enter random course I can see in participants 2 students and 2 teachers (it is ok, they should be there) but also that old CourseCreators !!!

Is there any chance to unsubscribe those users from course? I can do it manually if it's the only way.

What is strange:
I select susspicious couse, then -> Participants. I see there those, who really should be there, but not only. Then I select the "wrong one" and I type "unsybscribe me from this course" button. Then I need to submit, and I do so. The browser go back to the participants site and the "wrong one" is still there!!! And so on...
Any ideas?

R.

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Rafal,

Please note that role changes only take affect after the next login from that user, so I guess that the course creators would have to login before they disappear from the participants list. You don't need to unsubscribe them.

As Samuli points out, an alternative way of removing course creators from the participants list is to use the hidden assignments feature in the latest 1.7 (and in 1.8). However, this would only remove course creators from the student view of the participants list. Role assignments are not hidden from admins or teachers.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Paolo Oprandi -
Hi Helen and all,

In addition to course students and course faculty, which would have participatory and editing rights on a course respectively, I want to create departmental student roles, departmental faculty roles, student support officer roles, and some other administrative staff roles, all of which will have very similar capabilities that mean that are in no way enrolled on a course, but have permission to view all courses within their department without participatory or editing rights. I thought by creating these roles and adding them to the category context this would make this possible.

Unfortunatley it seems that these category -context roles appear in the participant block, they can unenrol from courses within their category, and the courses appear in the users 'my' page. It seems as if they have been actually enrolled on the course, but I don't want them to be - I just want them to be able to view it (as they would of with 'guest' access in Moodle 1,6 and before). Has anyone else these requirements?

An easy code fix would be to exclude them from the participants block and the my page, but what knock on effects might this have? Where else is it significant that they are apparently 'enrolled' on the course?

This hidden assignments is quite interesting and I haven't explored it... but it seems likely to only be half the solution if teachers can still see the roles (and they can still see their courses on the 'my' page).

Paolo