Wiki

Initial Content Suggestions

Picture of Mike Churchward
Initial Content Suggestions
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersPlugins guardiansTesters

Michael -

I like the new nav structure. Great stuff! Do you think it would be possible to integrate the HTML editor into the edit function? That way, we could use HTML formatting and wiki formatting.

I'd like to be able to specifiy '- none -' for initial content, providing a completely blank structure for the wiki.

Possible?

Also, I think you are always looking in the 'en' language directory, rather than the one selected by the user.

mike

Average of ratings: -
Re: Initial Content Suggestions
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersPlugins guardiansTesters

Hi Michael -

I figured out the empty content one. I missed that I needed an initial content directory named '00-empty'. Works great.

mike

Picture of koen roggemans
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTranslators

I made a duth translation and it works, but I can't tell you (yet) if it does for the initial content (not translated yet)

I don't know if you're planning big changes on the ertfurt content, so that's why I hold my horses a little bit.grijns It must be translated as a whole, even the filenames (for the linking).

I like the system with the textbased initial content: it's easy to custommake a set of initial pages to use in various courses. The script reeds the foldernames of the initial content folder (I suddenly could start with a [CVS] content grijns)

Once you have the updates going, I will install the module on productionserver, so it can be tested in real life.

I don't think the Erfurt content is something everyone will want. But, you may want to check their site (http://erfurtwiki.sourceforge.net); I believe they already have a lot of translations.

Note, that you can start with an initial empty set of content by creating a directory called '00-empty'.

mike

Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTranslators
You're right abouth the Erfurt content, but translations I've only found in Spanisch and German.  The initial empty set will be the popular one, altough it's not a bad idea to have an 'example'-wiki, like Erfurt, since a lot of teachers are not familiar with the wiki-concept.

Picture of Michael Schneider

I had the initial content in the wrong directory.  Now you could just copy the lang - folder from /contrib/wiki/ into the moodle lang-folder.

The language does work like this:
- Wiki scans the folder lang/en/help/wiki/initialcontent for subfolders
- It takes the translations for the drop-down in "Create Wiki" from lang/en/wiki.php in the local language
- When the wiki is created, it looks if a initial content folder with the same name exists in lang/LOCAL_LANGUAGE/help/wiki/initialcontent/ . If it does, the initial content is taken from there.

I will not change the ewiki-default content, so if you translate the contents, I would be more than happy to include it and even send it back to the ewiki-people. I have not found any other translations on their homepage so far....

It would be a way to give something back to the ewiki-people for sharing this great tool with us, but a more educational oriëntated example wiki or startingpoint would be a good idea from my point of view. I'm still thinking of a good (better) approach.