Tutorials on how to setup and upgrade moodle using cpanel.

Tutorials on how to setup and upgrade moodle using cpanel.

by Eric Hagley -
Number of replies: 9
I have created the following tutorials on how to setup moodle using cpanel.
Fantastico is an option but it has many drawbacks and does not set up a secure moodle. (the moddata file is put in the public html folder).
I know the tutorials are a bit rough around the edges but I think they do the job. However I would appreciated any feedback and I may be able to change these if there are some good suggestions.

How to choose a hosting company and how to set up moodle using cpanel.
http://otaru-jc.ac.jp/hagley/setingupmoodleonhostingwithcpanel.swf

How to upgrade moodle using cpanel.
http://otaru-jc.ac.jp/hagley/howtoupgrademoodlewithcpanel.swf

Also a quick tutorial on how to download and set up Audacity - software to create audio files.
http://otaru-jc.ac.jp/hagley/dowloadandsetupaudacity.swf

Please reply to this when giving ideas / suggestions.

Eric Hagley
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Hagley

Re: Tutorials on how to setup and upgrade moodle using cpanel.

by Eric Hagley -
A "t" was missing from one of those addresses.
The following address is correct.

http://otaru-jc.ac.jp/hagley/settingupmoodleonhostingwithcpanel.swf
In reply to Eric Hagley

by Frederic Nevers -
Thanks ever so much for this tutorial. It was of great help to me. Just one little detail though, when choosing a password for the database, please make sure that you only use letters as not doing so prevented me from installing Moodle properly (after changing the password, everything went smoothy)

Thanks again,

Fred
In reply to Eric Hagley

by robert maran -
Hi Eric,
I was happy to see a tutorial that explains how to upgrade using cpanel. I'm a real novice at this kind of stuff and am pretty reticent about making changes in case I stuff something up big time (especially in the middle of the semester). At the beginning of your tutorial you mentioned that "if you had only moodle in your public html folder, then you will start the process a bit later down the track". I am in that situation, but could not work out at which point your tutorial "kicks in " for my case. Could you amplify in the case where only moodle in the html folder, the hows and whens of the upgrade? Sorry for the stupid question, but your help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Robert
In reply to Eric Hagley

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Richard Enison -
PB,

The answer to that question, hopefully, is in the edit I did to the reference to one of those tutorials at the end of the third paragraph of the Installing Moodle doc page, namely, "(not currently available; links are expected to be updated in a few weeks; see this forum post)."

RLE
In reply to Eric Hagley

by Adrian Norman -
thanks eric for your tutorial on installing moodle using cpanel. i followed it step by step and now i have successfully installed my first moodle on a shared linux server. brilliant!!! YAY!

big grin

i did however make a mistake with cpanel... on changing the folder permissions of the moodledata folder (that i had created outside the public_html folder) as you instructed, i didn't notice that i has also selected the etc folder and the public_ftp folder....

so now i have all three folders with permissions of 777.

eric, do you know what the permissions should be for the etc and public_ftp folders so i can change them back?

thanks again for the video tutes... i felt confident to install moodle thanks to them. (i'm a visual learner)

cheers!
adrian
In reply to Eric Hagley

by Eric Hagley -
Due to a change of job the tutorials have moved.
How to choose a hosting company and how to set up moodle using cpanel.
A rather long tutorial but well worth the time (I think!). Takes a while to show as it is a very large file. This is with the old cpanel but the steps are still basically the same.

This is a tutorial on how to set up Moodle with the new cpanel.
Again, a large file so it will take time to load.

This is how to upgrade Moodle with cpanel.

Finally for anyone wanting to create audio files this tutorial on using Audacity is useful.
In reply to Eric Hagley

by Marc Grober -
I think the moodle docs on finding a web host point to your tutorial, so you may wat to check there and update.
In reply to Marc Grober

by Eric Hagley -
Thank you for that. They had been updated some time ago. Someone contacted me regarding this post so I updated the post too. Sorry to drag it out!