Questions regarding 1.9 and blogs

Questions regarding 1.9 and blogs

by Martin Samuelsson -
Number of replies: 2
First, my apologies if this is not quite the right forum. I've looked around, and couldn't find anything else that seemed to work for these particular questions.

I'm working for a Swedish company, TakeIT, managing a customer's Moodle site. The thing is that this particular customer likes blogs, and more or less want to center part of its activities around them, but with the addition of comments, permalinks, ping/trackback and stuff like that.

If I understand things correctly, these things are supposed to be added to the blog system in 1.9. Now, is there anything we can do to help towards the inclusion of such a system into Moodle proper? I'm a programmer, and can offer work as well as discussion. Is there any development being done on the 1.9 style blogs, or are the wiki wishlist http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Blogs and the 2006-2007 discussions in Using Moodle: Blogs http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=44830 "all there is"?

/Sam
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Samuelsson

Re: Questions regarding 1.9 and blogs

by sam marshall -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If you have development time spare that could be great.

We (The Open University) have a bunch of requirements including the ones mentioned. We are planning to outsource the major work [blog comments, categorisation e.g. post to your personal blog but not course blog] to moodle.com for inclusion in 1.9 plus a patch to 1.8 (since we are still running 1.8). I think these tasks are significant/complex enough that they really need to be dealt with closely by moodle.com.

However there are many minor tasks which you could consider taking on if you are available. We would probably be attempting to outsource these minor tasks also but if somebody else were willing to do them for free that would be great especially as we are having problems with our ability to outsource smaller things... (Note that for this reason I'm pretty sure we would not be able to fund your company to do any work, but presumably you already have funding from your existing customer.)

Please note that we have not yet agreed all the features we want with Martin D (but some of them are the ones on his list). We haven't been rushing to get this stuff clearly defined because we know he's very busy with 1.8 still.

So, finally getting to the point, I do have moderately precise brief specifications for all the things we want. I could post these in public somewhere, would that be a good starting point? If Martin okays them (or some of them) then apart from the stuff he's doing, you could consider taking one of those and working on a patch for it. Most of them are sort of dependent on the basic blog comments work though.

By the way last I heard our timescale for this sort of stuff is having it finished by some time in June (or before).

--sam

PS I am a technical person not a manager so hopefully I haven't said something I shouldn't have here smile Don't think any of it was secret though.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to sam marshall

Re: Questions regarding 1.9 and blogs

by Michael Penney -
Hey Sam, are the comments still coming?

We're adding them in for a client, have you guys already done this work (I'm not seeing it in 1.9 beta)?