Is there an appropiate context for selective user profile editting?

Is there an appropiate context for selective user profile editting?

von Dan Poltawski -
Anzahl Antworten: 7
Some Moodle Administrators want to give some staff access to edit student profiles (i.e. the ability to change student passwords).

The best way I can think of doing this is to apply 'moodle/user:editprofile' at system context. The problem with this is that it would then allow that member of staff to change the administrators profile (and password, and then mascarade as them).

I know there is user context, but is there a resonable way of assigning a role to a group of users? Or alternative solutions? (Assuming 1.8... I know there are some semi-related bugs with user context open around this issue).
Als Antwort auf Dan Poltawski

Re: Is there an appropiate context for selective user profile editting?

von Yu Zhang -
Hi Dan,

I think users with capabilities assigned on user contexts can not use the advancededit.php which allows changing of password etc. Instead they have to use the simplified edit.php. (in 1.8) This is to keep parents related users from accessing some part of that form. The only other way (currently) is to assign moodle/user:update at system context, but this would allow the users to edit everyone's profile/password less the primary admin's. There is no other way of doing this, as far as I know.

Cheers,

Yu
Als Antwort auf Yu Zhang

von Nicole Smith -

I would like to restrict student users from amending particular details in their user profiles - is it possible to have selective user profile amendments?

Thanks, Nicole

Als Antwort auf Yu Zhang

von Pamela Bell -
Hi Dan, I am facing this same problem with limitings some of the changes in student Profile....I am finding that students are changing their name to a nickname.....the State requires legal names for auditing purposes.......I would even take this right completely away if possible......would appreciate any input that you have received on this. thanks
Als Antwort auf Pamela Bell

von ben reynolds -
Administration > Users > Authentication > Manual accounts > Lock User Fields

Is how we locked email, surname, unlocked first name, unlocked if empty user idnumber.

Since we are not a public school, changes to first names of students only perturbs teachers and supervisors lächelnd

You can remove student capability to edit profiles altogether http://docs.moodle.org/en/Capabilities/moodle/user:editownprofile

Als Antwort auf ben reynolds

von Luis de Vasconcelos -
There isn't a way to lock the USERNAME field, is there?
Als Antwort auf Dan Poltawski

von Richard Zenarosa -

Is there a way to limit the authorization based on their organization hierarchy? i.e. if they belong to organization ABC, they can only edit the user profile of people within the hierarchy?

We are using Moodle 2.6 and Totara.