How can I get rid of the "Add a New Topic" button on the front page under site news?

How can I get rid of the "Add a New Topic" button on the front page under site news?

by Torrey Reynolds -
Number of replies: 4
I'm currently trying out a test install of Moodle for our district. Our plan is to eventually move the entire district website to be Moodle-based. One thing that is a bit of a distraction, though, is the "Add a new topic" button below the Site News bar. Is there any way to make it so that this button is not visible to anybody except those who are able to post there? I tried overriding and prohibiting guests from doing anything except reading the forum, but the button was still there. Better yet, how could I create something like what Moodle themselves have on their front page (which appears to be a custom page instead of a forum post)?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Torrey Reynolds

Re: How can I get rid of the "Add a New Topic" button on the front page under site news?

by Conor Power -
I am trying to do this too to no avail. The front page dosen't seem very flexible.
In reply to Torrey Reynolds

Re: How can I get rid of the "Add a New Topic" button on the front page under site news?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Torrey,

There was a bug regarding guests seeing the "Add a new topic" button which was fixed a while ago. Perhaps you could try upgrading your site?
In reply to Helen Foster

by Conor Power -
That worked for me, upgrading from 1.7.0 to 1.7.1 fixed it.
In reply to Conor Power

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks for your feedback Conor, it's good to know your problem is resolved. smile