One suggestion about calendar positioning...

One suggestion about calendar positioning...

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi again Jon,

showing the calendar to some friends they asked me about the possibility to configure the calendar and the upcoming events boxes (separately) to be showed on the left or on the right of the page. Could be it "easy" to do? wink

Only one idea...ciao smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

Re: One suggestion about calendar positioning...

by John Papaioannou -
Yes, why not....

In fact I deliberately avoided this thing so far because, with calendar outside the main CVS tree, doing it would have made installation "more difficult" (add two lines instead of one smile) and I wanted to keep it as absolutely simple as possible.

Now that it's inside CVS, sure it would be easy. I 'll do it as soon as time permits. Then of course we could override this setting from the "calendar admin" interface which will someday exist. wink
In reply to John Papaioannou

by John Papaioannou -
I just thought of something else....

Maybe we should have a "sideblock configuration" interface which would allow all kinds of customizations for the layout. For example, to choose which side and in which position each block appears on. Something like what PHP-Nuke has. That could also work with the "domains" idea so you can configure the site to look different in each domain!

On second thought, that would mean "have a happy new year 2005 when you 're done", so let's leave it for now...

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
What I was thinking was a new field on the "course" table controlled from the course settings (like recent activity is), called 'showcalendar'...

0 = don't show calendar at all
1 = show calendar on left
2 = show calendar on right

Should get us by for now ....
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's exactly what I was thinking too.

The only possible alternative is to decide if the "Upcoming Events" box has to be showed always under the calendar or if it can have its own "0,1,2 flag" to be able to hide/show it and to move it right/left independently. Ni pressure about this, of course!

This should be done with 4 lines, isn't it ? big grin

Ciao wink

PS: Thinking about the "sideblock configuration" in Jon's previous post I think that we could store that info in some alternative structure to allow this "sideblock configuration" to be easily implementable in a future (I can imagine two fields in the course table (left_things and right_things) with a list of things to show in each side and a nice interface to configure them...only a thought. smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by John Papaioannou -
I 'd vote for independent settings for the two blocks, too. That would allow us to set only one of them visible if desired, as Eloy says.

Since we agree on this, what about the exact place to display the blocks? I mean, their order relative to the other sideblocks.

Jon
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

Hi Jon,

I think that, for now, the place to display the blocks could be fixed relative to the other sideblocks, ie. deciding the side to show every block, should be enought. Anyway, supporting the "left_things" and "right_things" fields in the course table from now, could be a nice startpoint to implement the "build your own" inteface for each course in a near future...

Moodleman has to decide it....or perhaps the 20.000th registered server could decide it (like a present) too! big grin

Ciao smile

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'd have to see it to make a call on exact positioning, but I agree with you two good-natured guys about the two separate settings. smile

I also like Eloy's idea of left and right for all the blocks, with a little GUI later (controlling 2 more fields in the course table maybe) to determine the sort order.

by Marc Dastous -

As far positioning of the calendar I mentioned this as part of the discussion in another posting http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=5920

I believe that since time issues are dealt with on the right side of the screen (News, latest events, etc.) then the calendar would fit well there.  I have moved it on my site and it works very well.  Please see the zip file image.

The ability to turn the calendar on and off for each course would be a fantastic feature.  I'm sure that some instructors would prefer not to have it.  However, that being said, if the calendar feature had the ability to show Assignment due dates, maybe through a check box option on the Assignment create page, that would be more of an incentive to use it.  I have to do this manually right now.

Just some thoughts.

Marc

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Ger Tielemans -
Could you implement that for all the other boxes? (See Postnuke modul manager or so)

by John Papaioannou -
The gentlemen who participate in this discussion, please take a look here... big grin