Changing the Term 'Forum' to 'Discussion'

Changing the Term 'Forum' to 'Discussion'

by kim winger -
Number of replies: 6

We are brand new to Moodle and this is one of the queries that has been raised: Is it possible to change the name of the 'Forum' module to 'Discussion' module when we add it to a course. We are currently moving from WebCT to Moodle and have been using the term Discussion for our conferencing. Keeping this term would help eliminate a lot of editing of references to 'Dsicussions' in our course material.

Thanks

Kim

Average of ratings: -
In reply to kim winger

Re: Changing the Term 'Forum' to 'Discussion'

by Julie Pichon -
You could edit the 'forum.php' language file, either by going in Language/Language editing in Site administration, or by directly modifying the language file in lang/en_utf8 (or whatever is the folder for the default language).

From there you can change the strings relative to 'forum', 'forums', 'modulename', etc into whatever you want them to be.

Hope this helps smile
In reply to Julie Pichon

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Julie > You could edit the 'forum.php' language file,
  • CORRECT.- either by going in Language/Language editing in Site administration,
  • NOT CORRECT.- or by directly modifying the language file in lang/en_utf8 (or whatever is the folder for the default language).
If you are using Moodle 1.7, the CORRECT way of editing language files is to go (as Admin) to Administration / language / language editing / Edit words or phrases / Click on forum.php / click on switch button (to make a copy of your local modified language file) and finally locate the words you want to change.
Directly modifying the language file is NOT RECOMMENDED.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by kim winger -

Thanks for the help Joseph - this is good news for us.

Kim

by Julie Pichon -
Thanks for the correction, Joseph.
In reply to Julie Pichon

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Julie,
Hope you did not feel offended by my "correction".wink I see you are working in Limerick. Was there about 10 years ago. Nice campus.approve
All the best,
Joseph

by Julie Pichon -
Not at all -- slightly embarrassed to spread erroneous information, but now I know wink

The UL campus is really nice, yes, and there are some very cool places around for hiking. I'm moving to Dublin in June so I'm enjoying it while I can!