Other Editors - FCKeditor

Other Editors - FCKeditor

by Mike Churchward -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Don't know if you looked at it or not, but FCKeditor looks like a very good alternative editor for WYSIWG. It has a 'paste from Word' control as well, which translates into HTML in the editor.

mike

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mike Churchward

Re: Other Editors - FCKeditor

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Er, do we need an alternative?  wide eyes  What's wrong with htmlarea?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Genner Cerna -
For me htmlarea works fine... cross-platform capable, simply rocks...
In reply to Genner Cerna

by Andy Diament -

htmlarea works fine except on our main moodle installation with ie6 (including moodle 1.2.1)

I hate banging on about this one but I really want to sell the idea of moodle as a one stop solution for writing consistent content to colleagues who won't want to switch between moodle/dreamweaver/word etc: htmlarea is absoultely key to this - I already did one presentation by glossing over this (using mozilla on a laptop). Within our college, ie6 only is available on the network

I think it's a combination of ie6 and apache config, but can't put my finger on it....

Andy D

In reply to Andy Diament

by Ray Lawrence -

Andy,

I have IE6 on my laptop and desktop and it works fine on both.

Ray

In reply to Andy Diament

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Do you have any blank lines in config.php?  
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Nothing wrong really...

I noticed the sumary of this forum mentioned it was going to be updated, so thought I'd offer some options.

Things I like about FCKeditor (and I haven't tested it thoroughly), that HTMLarea doesn't have:

• paste from word with auto-detect,
  • changing an already inserted image's properties,
  • better table control and editing (including changing an existing table),
  • being able to see 'special' tags in the WYSIWYG without having to go to HTML source.

mike

In reply to Mike Churchward

by Martin Dougiamas -
Ah, thanks - I've updated the old forum description.  smile

The current editor does allow paste from Word (and even has a Word cleanup button), changing of image properties (select then use image button), better table editing (in fullscreen mode only, though, for speed/space).

You can't see "special" tags yet in the WYSIWYG view, but I'm sure that can't be far off. smile