e-mail not working from forums

e-mail not working from forums

by Daniel Mc Sweeney -
Number of replies: 6

Hi all,

Im running IIS and smtp.

At the moment, moodle is sending password and other e-mails, however all mails from forums simply sit in the queue. Any idea's on whats causing the issue.  Is this a known issue?

Daniel

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniel Mc Sweeney

Re: e-mail not working from forums

by Mohamed Mostafa -

Dear All,

I have the same problem , i am running 1.7.1+, when FORCE to subscribe everyone to (forum,site news), no one receiving any mails, but when i choose NOT to force everyone, they the existied users receives the mails.

Note: version 1.6, 1.6.4 working fine
version 1.7, 1.8 not working

Please help.

Thanks

In reply to Mohamed Mostafa

Re: e-mail not working from forums

by Simon Clegg -
Me too! 1.7.1 Cron set up correctly.
In reply to Simon Clegg

Vast: Re: e-mail not working from forums

by lasse utti -
Hi everybody !

Same problem here .....

When I run cron.php script from browser I see :

Processing module function forum_cron ...Processing user 4 <-- that's ok
user 4 can not see 1026 <-- I'm administrator !!!!! MUST SEE EVERYTHING !!!
0 users were sent post 1026, 'asd asd asd asd asd asd' <-- but forum cron function marks post 1026 mailed ... everything goes out of date.

done.

I've looked source code and cron.php looks fine ... no problem ....
but ... in /mod/forum/lib.php function forum_cron seems not work perfect... because it check from rolesystem the capability to see posts ...
Function uses get_context_instance and has_capability functions ....( role system again !!!!)

I think the mail-problem began after stopping guest-user capability to see and enroll himself into closed/hidden courses ....

I'm not developer .. but ... I try to override
get_context_instance and has_capability functions somehow in function forum_crom (/mod/forum/lib.php) code. That's not correct but I've waiting too long for right solution.

..lasse..

In reply to lasse utti

Re: Vast: Re: e-mail not working from forums

by Simon Clegg -

Hi there lasse,

I have had exactly the same in Moodle 1.8 beta. It looks like the problem has gone away and I'm not entirely sure how. My theory though is that it is to do with the fact that in 1.8 you need to assign your Administrator role manually to each course that is created. If not you will not be able to view posts (even ones you post yourself!) although you will be pretty much able to do most other things.

I also think this is what might be causing the mail anomaly. Although I am not sure. My suggestion would be to check assigned roles for the course you are having the problem with and make sure you assign yourself as Administrator.

If I have put my finger on it, please let me know 'cos although I seem no longer to have the problem, I would like to be sure that I am correct on the solution.

Simon

In reply to Simon Clegg

Vast: Re: Vast: Re: e-mail not working from forums

by lasse utti -
Mail anomaly ....

I've tested to override those functions but it was very difficult to do so ....

Then I found simple solution: take your 1.6.+ /admin/cron.php and /mod/forum/lib.php and drop these into correct places...

This is very barbarous against role system and pershaps very dangerous for forum-usability .. I think so.
Now I've tested it and ... hitherto ... everything works and closed/hidden courses/forums are closed from outsider... and mail goes out !!!

Use this 2-cent-tip at your own risk.

..Lasse..

In reply to lasse utti

Vast: Re: Vast: Re: e-mail not working from forums

by lasse utti -
DON'T USE THIS METHOD !!!!!

I've noticed that mail work well .. but ... students drop out from courses because old cron-script makes "cleaning" procedure for "old" students ... and this combination clean also every person from course who have student-role sad

Their texts, works, answers and gradings are there but you can't see them.
After collecting your students back into the course, everything is ok.

So ... let's continue searching the answer ...

...Lasse...