Upgrading the necessary files

Upgrading the necessary files

by Chris Clark -
Number of replies: 3

Hi all,

When I upgrade to newer versions of Moodle, all I normally do is FTP into my account and overwrite the previous files.

When I login as admin, it picks up the new version and upgrades everything automatically.

I wanted to know: What are the necessary files that I can upload?, instead of uploading all of them? Example, I would normally leave the themes folder out...

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Clark

Re: Upgrading the necessary files

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Since Moodle evolves verry rapidly and improvements are made all over the program, it's realy necessary to replace ALL your files. Changing only some of them is an experiment that has not succeeded already too many times glimlach (read some of the older forums)

Als overwriting the files is not a good idea: some parts of Moodle scan the directorytree and with older, not used files in there it could give some side effects.

Also the themes need to be upgraded. (I had an error myself due to an unupgraded custom theme from 1.1 to 1.2)

To summarise:

• customize your config.php and upload your new Moodle to a folder called newmoodle (that can take some time)
  • reneame your moodlefolder from moodle to oldmoodle
  • reneme newmoodle to moodle
  • visit yoursite/moodle/admin and your up and running (notice that only during the last three short actions your site will be unavailable knipoog)
In reply to koen roggemans

by Chris Clark -

Hi Koen,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunaetly I'm not a true proffessional at PHP, but this is what I'm going to try, and please tell me if I'm wrong wink my current site is: www.thebarn.za.net, and moodle is setup in the main directory.

• I'm going to setup a subdomain: www.temp.thebarn.za.net
  • I'll use Fantastico to install version 1.1.1 (which is the only one available at the moment on the cPanel.
  • I'll overwrite www.temp.thebarn.za.net with 1.2 (which I'm running at the moment), and backup my current site (www.thebarn.za.net)
  • I'll restore all the info from the main site into the subdomain and re-direct traffic from thebarn.za.net to temp.thebarn.za.net - hoping that people won't notice the different.
  • I'll overwrite thebarn.za.net with the latest patch (1.2.1)
  • I'll backup and restore all recent activity from temp.thebarn.za.net to thebarn.za.net, and change the config and styles sheets.
  • re-direct traffic back to www.thebarn.za.net

I quite like your idea that you suggested, though I did not install moodle under a seperate folder, that's why I thought a sub-domain might work?

In reply to Chris Clark

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators

Hmm, not sure, but you will have to edit your config.php for the new location.

What about installing  moodle1.2  in a /moodle folder, edit config.php, leave data where it is, redirect www.thebarn.za.net to www.thebarn.za.net , delet the old, then unused Moodle 1.1. /moodle

This saves you the trich with the temporary subdomain, you'll get no interruption and you end up with a server wich you can use for something else too since moodle is in a separate folder (also convenient for upgrading glimlach )

Someone else got an opinion on this ?