Roles and Forum Difficulties

Roles and Forum Difficulties

by Michael Meyer -
Number of replies: 3

I have a scenario that has been traumatizing me for weeks now, and I sincerely hope that someone has had a similar problem and will take the time to help me.

My site role default is set at "guest." However, I wanted everyone to be able to post in some forums that I have on my home page. In order to do this I had to modify the guest permissions to allow guests to post in forums. I then realized that I didn't want them to be able to post in the site news forum, so I created a role override to prohibit them from posting in it. It didn't work. I should clarify... it did work, but only if the person was actually in the "guest" role. As of now, everyone on my site has no role in the context of the site. I thought that they would automatically get the default permissions of a guest, but it appears that they don't. In that case, what does a default role really mean? When new users sign up on the site, they don't become guests... they just have no role like everyone else. Do I really have to manually put all 1000 users into the guest role and check back frequently to make sure that I put newly registered users in this role as well?

Please help, I have wasted many days messing with this and I need saving while I still have hair.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Meyer

Re: Roles and Forum Difficulties

by Stephen Bourget -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
If you look under Administration->users->permissions->user policies there are 3 roles settings.

I think the role you want to ajust is whichever role is assigned to the "Default role for all users" This is most likely the "Users" role. The guest role, by default, only applies to users who are not logged in.

I hope this helps

In reply to Stephen Bourget

by Michael Meyer -
My default role is set to guest.

I guess my question is: Why aren't users assigned the default role when they create an account? Instead they are given no role, which makes them impervious to restrictions that I try to set on site-level forums.

Do I have to manually make everyone the role that I need them to be? Or is my miscalculation in making "guest" the default role? ("Guest" seems to mean several things in different contexts).
In reply to Michael Meyer

by Viorel Tabara -
You are correct - every new user needs to be assigned to a role. For sites that deal with large numbers of users it makes sense so the enrollment scripts deal with clean data.