RESTORE help for newbie, please

RESTORE help for newbie, please

by Sheau Yun Choo -
Number of replies: 2

Hi there, my univ. is testing Moodle (1.6.2); our Moodle space is allocated to us on a server.

I am trying to restore a zip file via the 'Restore' function in the Administration area but have encountered annoyance(s):

1) the upload file size is limited to 2mb only - how to I change this as the admin for the site? 

2) Is this the correct way to restore a zip file? I checked the Moodle docs and looked through several forums and this seemed to be the method to do so. Even the person who sent me the zip file advised restoring it via the Restore feature either as Admin or Course Creator.

3) If a zip file can be uploaded to a course, does the Teacher then restore the contents from the file to the course? 

I think I am hindered by the file upload size limitation. I have also unzipped the file and managed to upload a document, but how do I get the rest of the files and the subfolders uploaded? 

Thanks.

Soon-to-be-confused-and-frustrated Newbie

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sheau Yun Choo

Re: RESTORE help for newbie, please

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings!

The upload limit is a server AND Moodle issue. Here are some instructions for changing the upload limit, from the Moodle documentation. There are also a lot of posts on this, if you search the forums. I couldn't tell from your post if you are admin of the server or not. To change the server settings, you will have to have the proper rights.

We use 20 MB as our limit, which works for most things. Some people set it higher. Be aware that whatever limit you set will then affect everything. We are still using Moodle 1.6, and I do not think there is a way to set a per user quota. This is a per file quota and affects course uploads as well as file uploads.

To get around that, you can place or FTP a file or course archive directly into the proper moodledata folder and then restore it by using the Moodle files area. This is what I do with course files that are larger than our limit when we don't want to set the limit any higher for general purposes!

I wish you success with your testing!

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

Re: RESTORE help for newbie, please

by Sheau Yun Choo -
Aahhh...I see! I shall have to get the admin server to do this. Right, thanks very much.
Sheau Yun