Browsers

Browsers

by sheila jagannathan -
Number of replies: 5
Is there any information on what browsers Moodle works with and which ones have known problems.  Is there some sort of information on this?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to sheila jagannathan

Re: Browsers

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
On theory at least, within a given generation of browsers and server applications, there can't be any "problems". Simply because the protocol (HTTP) and the language (HTML, CSS, ...) they use are well defined and standardized. (Not by chance BTW. The inventors wanted it that way. Contrary to the poplular belief, Bill Gates did NOT invent the Web).

Of course these standards develop, so if you take Moodle for example, which speaks XHTML 1.0 and CSS 1.1? you can't expect a five year old browser to understand it all.

In practice it was not always the case. Specially CSS was a BIG problem with IE. The rest of the world has managed to tame the goliath, at last in this respect.

Talking of IE7 recently this issue came up http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=65341

The reason could well be the way MS has to keep its update/upgrade history secret. There were heaps of patches and patches to patch brocken patches, this particular group of users might have had some sort of a mishap.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by J Swanson -
I found that the editing functions (text options, emoticons, and image insert) that is located above a post is not available in IE, Safari or Opera. It only is visible in Firefox and Netscape.

Jessica
In reply to J Swanson

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Almost everything in Moodle should be usable in every browser, but some of the more advanced non-essential features will not work in more primitive browsers. For example, the HTML editor only works in IE and Firefox, at least up to Moodle 1.9. In Moodle 2.0 we are switching to TinyMCE which does work in recent versions of Safari and Opera too.

I am surprised the HTML editor does not work in IE for you. I have never seen that.

Any place where a bit of Moodle does not work in a particular browser is a bug, and should be file in the tracker. However, whether it is worth fixing depends on how serious the problem is, and how many people use the browser in question.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Pam Redpath -

Hi,

I am not too technically savvy.  If I open a browser and it works in a timely manner I go for it.  In the workplace we are encouraged to use Internet Explorer or Chrome.  I prefer Chrome.  As we have a Technician that sorts all our problems, i do not know what the key issues are.