a difficult question, perhaps - course format

a difficult question, perhaps - course format

by David Mack -
Number of replies: 2
I am looking to have a course with 5 or 6 topics, ALL of which will have a test at the end.

While there should be no necessary order of  completion I would like there to be some kind of indicator which segments have already been completed (e.g. a tick next to the completed topics) so that people can come and go as they please with a clear indication of what is still to be done.

I'm sure this is a general point that many will be interested in but what I'm hoping is that someone has already achieved something similar.  Perhaps this is already attainable with features I have overlooked.

apologies for the lengthy message.  I hope I've been clear enough!

so....anyone? ideas?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Mack

Re: a difficult question, perhaps - course format

by Ger Tielemans -

For all the tasks that get a grade in the gradebook it must be possible to say when Moodle is printing the tasks of a section line by line: "if there is a mark in the gradebook then print a checkmark in front of that task-line otherwise print the empty box."

(like in the new SCORM-modul glimlach )

If the owner of a task-modul adds on the edit-screen of that task a box where you can choose the pass-level for the grade for that task, it must even be possible to say "if the grade is above the pass-level then print a green checkmark, otherwise print a red cross.   

In reply to Ger Tielemans

Re: a difficult question, perhaps - course format

by David Mack -
I would prefer a php if statement in there as opposed to interpreting the course via scorm, which I have no desire to get involved with.

so, I guess what I'm wondering what database fields would be referred to...rather, has anybody successfully completed such a modification and how did they go about it?!

Several months down the line surely I can't be alone...

I was envisaging something along the line of

if record_exists_sql("SELECT * FROM $course WHERE coursegrade>$passgrade AND username=$user") {
echo "Completed!";
} else {
echo "Incomplete";}

suggestions? (i.e. where should this go - as a modified print_course function in course/lib.php perhaps?!)