No emails

No emails

by Chardelle Busch -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Core developers

Hi Ray,

Firstly, let me just say that your work on moodle is VERY appreciated and the dialogue module is exactly what I need.  I just tried it out though, and do not get any email notifications when I have the email box checked.  Any ideas as to why?

Thank you,

Chardelle

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chardelle Busch

Re: No emails

by Chardelle Busch -

Update:

I found out the email problem was a "cron" thing having to do with my site only and has been fixed. 

But, speaking of email--I think email notification is the best feature of this module.  I use it to keep a running "personal" dialogue between a teacher and participant that is in addition to any discussions on the forums.  It is nice to be notified via email when someone has responded to the dialogue, rather than having to check the course for updates. 

My question is: can the email notification be modified?  There is no explanatory text and I would like to be able to add some.

Thank you

by David Le Blanc -
I wonder if your "cron" job problem is what I'm having trouble with. I haven't been able to get my email frrom moodle working lately. I have recently upgraded to moodle 1.2 beta but the cPanel sofware at my host was also recently upgraded. My site variables are set correctly within moodle to send and receive email so I can't figure out what the problem might be. I wonder if you could describe how you remedied this by adjusting your "cron" jobs?
In reply to David Le Blanc

by Chardelle Busch -

Oops,

I'm really sorry, David, if I gave the impression that I knew what I was talking about, because I know nothing about scripting.  I host my site with Martin, so he fixed the problem.  I had had him change the "name" of my program from moodle (e.g. many people change it to something like "courses") and his reply was that because of that:   "the cron job wasn't able to run the right script. हसणे Fixed now."

That's all I know, hope that was of some help anyway.

Chardelle

by David Le Blanc -

Thanks for your response Chardelle. This gives me a starting point any way. smile

The directory where my moodle is located is called courses. Maybe the problem has something to do with that. My moodle allows for user authentication (sign-up) but doesn't send emails for instructor feed back, nor from disucssion forums. Maybe the name of the directory is causing this problem. thoughtful 

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
David, do you have a process set up to call your cron.php page at regular intervals?

The name of the Moodle directory itself is not relevant ... in Chardelle's case we had recently changed the name of the directory and I hadn't updated the cron process to follow suit.

(Edited later to remove link to cron page)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by James Cosentino -

I have my automatic backups set (on Moodle 1.2) and I tried the cron process directly from my browser. The cron process says the next scheduled process is for the time I indicated in the admin section, but, for the life of me, I cannot find where the backup files are located (i have left the textbox blank, so it shoudl be default).

I am also having the same issues with automatic email notification with the dialogue module.

Any help would be most appreciated.

James

In reply to James Cosentino

by Ray Kingdon -
Can't help with the auto backups I'm afraid.

But the dialogue module sends emails out in the "name" of the teacher/student who is posting the entry. This means the emails are send to the SMTP server with the email address of the teacher/student. Some servers accept anything and everything while others are a bit more selective and only process, that is pass on to the big wide (email) world, only email from "known" clients. This may be one reason why dialogue mails don't happen. I'll experiment with the "sender" address and posibly put an extra option in the module to always send the email with the admin email address.

by David Le Blanc -

Well. I feel a bit foolish. I didn't have my cron job setup at all. I missed this step when I upgraded to version 1.2. Thanks for your response. The problem is now resolved. blush 

Solution: I setup a cron job using the advanced command from my cPanel: