Custom resource type and custom user field

Custom resource type and custom user field

by Michael Kebe -
Number of replies: 1
Hello,

I am new here. I currently trying to modify Moodle to fulfill our requirements. We (Collide, University Duisburg-Essen) are using our own (pen-based) application to teach the students. Currently we are using postnuke with a self-written plugin, to upload the course slides directly from the application to postnuke.

What I wanna to now is this:
Creating a new resource type supporting our own format. I could do this with a new activity module, but activities are no resources... I searched docs.moodle.org and the internet for more information about this, but nothing found.

$moodleinstalldir/mod/resource/type/ contains some types. Is it possible just to a new directory and add needed PHP-Classes there, to make the new type available? How should I start? Any APIs, Tutorial, Howtos would be great.

Another thing:

Every student has its identifying matriculation number. How can I add this custom field as a needed field to the registration process? Moddle 1.8 will support custom fields via "mdl_user_info_field". But will it be possible to make it a required field?

I hope you can help us to migrate to Moodle.

Michael
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Kebe

Re: Custom resource type and custom user field

by Michael Penney -
Resource is a module that is meant to be extended to show different content types, so that sounds like a good start.

You might also look at lesson as it has some content uploading functions built in (for ppt upload).

Generally, if your content is going to be 'read only'-the students just view it, that is what the Resource mod is meant to be extended for.

identifying matriculation number.

We use the existing id field, and push the number in from our SIS via LDAP using the LDAP enrollment system.