Multilang filter for list of courses?

Multilang filter for list of courses?

by Markus Knierim -
Number of replies: 4
Hello,

I was wondering if there is any special reason why the multilang filter has been chosen to exclude course names and course category names?

Currently I need a multilingual frontpage with course categories/names in different languages, so I started to fiddle around with the way the course categories display is handled. I think I might be able to get it to work, but I wanted to make sure that there are no major issues involved which I am not aware of.

TIA for your feedback smile
Markus
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Markus Knierim

Re: Multilang filter for list of courses?

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi,

I remember when the "filterall" functionality was introduced long time ago. It caused hundreds (say, X) of small (trivial) modifications in order to allow every little string in Moodle to support the multilang filter.

And then, we arrived to 2 strings:

course->fullname
course_category->name

that themselves needed 4X modifications in code (trivial too) to have multilang support working on them.

So, due to time for release we left them out. Since then, well, time availability has been a problem, release after release and, sincerely, it hasn't been in my (our) "top list" since then.

There is one docs page to document all this: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Filterall_support

And perhaps it would be interesting to add some report to the bug tracker: http://tracker.moodle.org (if it doesn't exist) and to vote and comment about it in forums in order to get/gain some priority.

It's shouldn't be difficult at all but will be a long task, slooooooow to apply and test everywhere (because of the number of places to modify in Moodle code).

Ciao smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Jeff Forssell -
I was wondering if suitably marked SCORM content would be filtered. I tried looking at the docs link but only saw:

Scorm module:
  • scorm->name: Done!
which I don't know how to interpret. Do you know if SCORM content is filtered if marked?

In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Jeff,

if I'm not wrong, local SCORM contents are served by file.php and this script supports filtering of text/html files if $CFG->filteruploadedfiles is enabled in the admin menu.

The "scorm->name: Done!" phrase means that such field (the title of SCORM activities, just the title) supports the multilang filter.

Ciao smile