General help

Embedded video streaming

Picture of Mariana vd Walt
Embedded video streaming

Hello everyone

I am new to Moodle and trying to embed media files according to what I find in documentation and this forum. I have activated the Media Plugins in administrator->Modules->Activities and checked that the settings are fine.

I am able to embed mp3 files and they stream well. However, when I try to embed flv or mov files it does not work. If I insert the link by choosing spaces, nothing shows, but the browser does indicate for a time that it is transferring data. If I add the link to the media file to text (e.g. "Click here" and set the target to a new window) a new window does open, but instead of seeing the video I see squiggles all over the page. This happens with both mov and flv files. (Both of these play fine outside of Moodle).

I am using Moodle 1.7.1+

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mariana

Average of ratings: -
Wellingtonia Tree
Re: Embedded video streaming

What browser are you using to view them.
In Moodle 1.5.2 I've noticed that video files play fine in Internet Explorer but don't work in Firefox so it could be a browser issue.

Hello Heather

Thank you for the response. I have tested in Firefox, Maxthon and IE - all of them the latest versions. I have also tested on different work stations to make sure that it is not a setup on the specific workstation that causes the problem.

All I can think is that I am somehow not doing everything required in Moodle, but I am doing everything required according to the documentation (as far as I can tell), as described above.

I attach a file containing a screencopy when I try to stream a flv. It gives this "Loading.." message while indicating in the browser that it is transferring data, and then after some time the browser says "Done" but still displys the same "Loading.." screen on the Moodle page.

Mariana

Maybe I can also attach the results I obtain if I specify to stream the video in a new page.

Mariana

Wellingtonia Tree

Have you checked this thread http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=55789 on embedding video.
It mentions the media plug ins and filters. Have you checked those?

Hello Heather

Yes I have read these and to my best knowledge I am following that. However, I have found the problems mentioned above. I am encouraged though in that I have now found that it is on one specific moodle implementation that it does not work, on another one it does (I have two separate implemtations of Moodle 1.7). So it seems to be a Moodle settings problem (but not the media plug in settings, because they are the same on both implementations). My SP is looking into the situation to try and resolve.

Mariana

Picture of Mauno Korpelainen
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Mariana,

if embedding does not work you could try to use iframes. In editor press <> and paste and save

<iframe
src ="linktoyourfile"
width="100%">
</iframe>

You get the link with mouse right click over file (properties) and may add correct height and width to your iframe...

Hello Mauno

Thank you I tried it straight away. Unfortunately it gives the same problem - transferring data from the site and then the browser says "Done" without streaming.

Mariana

Ralf Krause - Germany
Group Translators
Hi Mariana,

I have an example page with some videos that can show you running videos. I tried different video formats (wmv, asf, avi, mp4, mov) on different platforms. I want to have the videos on different client computers (Windows, Linux, Mac OS X).

The best format I found is .mov (Quicktime). It's coded in mpeg4 and can be streamed over the internet. Streaming is useful if you want to start the film quickly after you started the download. Please have a look to my examples on my demo page. It should be no problem that the page is in german language ... you should see the videos.

http://www.edumoodle.at/duesseldorf/course/view.php?id=6

I hope you will like it!

Ralf

Thanks Ralf

Yes I did enjoy watching the video. I notice however that Quicktime allows to purchase software so the video can be stored on your workstation. That is not what I want.

I am testing with .mov purely because I cannot get the .flv files running.

Mariana

Picture of Michael Penney
Group Developers
Hmm, using an iframe should just pass through the information from the other page where the video is embedded and working.

Does it work when you link to that page (for instance from a resource)?

Do you have an example html page where the video is streaming ok?

Hello Michael

I am trying to embed the video when I add a resource (web page). So far no success.

I also have an example page (which I made in Dreamweaver) where a sample video does stream. I attach that page. If I load this test page to my course space and link to it from the web page I am adding as a resource, it does not stream.

Mariana

Picture of Michael Penney
Group Developers
Is this is the same code you are using in Moodle?

In this code, it looks like you are loading the player locally from your Moodle file system?
 <param name="movie" value="FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf"

And then loading the stream relative to the player:

streamName=cafe_townsend_chef

Is the flv in the same directory on your Moodle filesystem as the swf?

Hello Michael

The code I attached runs outside of Moodle as a test page only on my local workstation to view the flv (I created the page with Dreamweaver). I have not been able after loading that flv to the Moodle site and then trying to embed it (by creating a link from within a web page I am creating as a resource) to stream it from within Moodle. So the code you see in the file does not work in Moodle, only on my local workstation outside of Moodle. Sorry for not communicating clearly.

So the answer is no - I do not use code in Moodle, just add a link from a web page to the file.

My problem is that it seems to be the norm that following this route (to create a link from the web page in Moodle) does work. My Media Plugin in Moodle is activated correctly, yet it does not work for me. I have given the two results above, namely
1) Just the "Loading.." message if I load it on the same page
2) The messy symbols if i load it as a new window.

Mariana

Picture of Chris Kenniburg
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
When creating the SWF file to display the FLV video, you have to pay attention to the file path. If you are interested in using MOV files, I posted how we use QTSS to display live feeds as well as streaming media from a separate streaming server over here:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=65173

Hope this helps.
Chris

Hello Chris

Thanks this is very helpful. I am going to pursue this route. I got stuck on just how to embed a video in a resource (because I cannot seem to get that right). But your solution is actually where I want to go, since I also have big files (1 hour) to stream.

Many thanks
Mariana