Teacher problems with 1.1.1

Teacher problems with 1.1.1

by Greg Fishbone -
Number of replies: 5

Help!  In the first course we are running, which was going fine until a couple days ago, the teachers are suddenly unable to post to the forums.  Thanksfully students are still able to post as normal, or the course would have ground to a halt.  I've tried to backup and restore the course, but that did not solve the problem.  To get around the problem temporarily I've created a separate student account for the teacher to post with, but that means the teacher is unable to post to the News Forum, which we'd like to restrict to teacher use.

I'll be upgrading to 1.2.1 when the course ends, and hopefully that will solve the problem, but it would be nice to have this work now while class is in session.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Greg Fishbone

Teachers can post to forums

by Greg Fishbone -
I've just confirmed that this problem is not just with one teacher but with all the teachers assigned to the course.  We've been unable to post anything from an administrative role, and it's making it very difficult to administer the class.

Re: Teachers can post to forums

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It's possible your database needs repairing ... if you have (or can install) the Moodle MySQL admin module (which is based on PhpMyAdmin), then you can use it to "REPAIR" all the tables. 

Click on the database name in the left frame, click on "select all tables" in the right frame, then choose "Repair" from the menu.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Teachers can't post to forums

by Greg Fishbone -

Thanks, Martin.

I don't have Moodle MySQL installed, but I used PHPMyAdmin to attempt a repair of the database, and that didn't fix the problem.  Does Moodle MySQL do something different or additional that PHPMyAdmin does not?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
No, it does the same thing. 

Hmm ... I'm out of ideas then ... I would have to look at the site.

Upgrading to 1.2.1 sooner rather than later may fix it.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Greg Fishbone -
Dang.  I was going to use Fantastico to install the new version, but it's not available yet.  This class is only going for another week anyway, so we should be able to muddle through.  Thanks.