Multiple Choice with Multiple Answer- only allow

Multiple Choice with Multiple Answer- only allow

โดย Deleted user -
Number of replies: 3

We are using Multiple Choice questions with Multiple Answers. We will tell the student how many answers they need to pick (say three of eight), but there is no way to stop them from picking more than three.

Is there a way to limit the number of answers they can pick in this type of question? Is there a different question type that we should be using that will work better for us?

The problem we have now run into is this: 

A student gets part marks for correct answers, and there is no penalty for incorrect answers. So in a questions with 3 correct answers and 5 incorrect answers (a total of 8 answers), they will get .33 of a mark for each correct answer, and no marks for incorrect answers. But if they check ALL 8 answers, they get full marks (1 out of 1), because they pick the correct ones, and there is no penalty for the incorrect.

Is there a way to limit the number of answers they pick to the number of answers with 'fraction' > 0 ??

การประเมินโดยเฉลี่ย: -
In reply to Deleted user

Re: Multiple Choice with Multiple Answer- only allow

โดย Philip Norton -
Hi Jeff,

You can give negative marks to the wrong answers. Generally, if a question has 4 correct answers, each answer is worth 25% of the final mark. If the question has 3 distractors, I make each of these -33.333%. That way, if they select all, they end up with 0.

Moodle won't allow an actual negative answer, so they would still get 0 even if they choose all the wrong options.

This thread might also give you a few other ideas of how to use negative marking to help.

Philip
In reply to Deleted user

โดย Rob Hindman -
I'm in the same boat as Jeff, and would love to see the ability to limit a question to a certain number of answers.

However, in lieu of such a feature, here is the particular way I'm doing things -- similar to what Philip suggested, but with a difference on the incorrect answers:
  • Each correct answer = 100% / # of correct answers.
  • Each incorrect answer = -100% / # of total answers.
So in a question where the student should pick three out of eight, each correct answer would be worth 33.333% and each incorrect answer worth -12.5%. This way the negative mark for an incorrect answer doesn't just totally kill their overall score on the question, but it stings enough that if a student tries to be sneaky and pick more answers than the question asks them to, they'll still get knocked for it.
In reply to Rob Hindman

โดย Deleted user -

This answers my question... it can't be done the way I want to do it!!!

So for now, we'll come up with a work around, and hopefully a future release will have this added functionality that we would like.

Thanks again everybody!!