Migrating: Mysql ->ms sql and win2k ->Novell netware

Migrating: Mysql ->ms sql and win2k ->Novell netware

by Andy Diament -
Number of replies: 4
Hi,

I've been running moodle on win2k server/apache/mysql on a system that can only be used within the college network, very happily.

I have requested it be installed on a server with external access, and the configuration could be:
  • Novell netware server
  • apache 2
  • mysql
or
  • win 2k or 2003 server
  • a web server (IIs or apache)
  • MS sql server
Has anyone got any experience of porting existing courses to ms sql?
  • How easy is it to create a new moodle database in MS sql ?
  • Should the conventional moodle backup zip files be able to copy courses across without hiccup?
and as for netware - we did a quick trial with mysql/apache2/php and it worked fine, but does it also support the cron script and a connection to a mail server?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers, Andy D
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andy Diament

Re: Migrating: Mysql ->ms sql and win2k ->Novell netware

by Rob Delissen -

Moodle is Open Source. And should be run on Open Source.

Want a quick, safe and easy platform to run it on, try e-smith server, at www.contribs.org.

Works for me.

In reply to Rob Delissen

by Andy Diament -

Fundamentally, I agree and would prefer to run a LAMP solution, but, in an organisational context, the decision is probably out of my hands. So the e-smith solution would be as valid as any flavour of Linux.

It currently runs on a win server because the system manager was interested in devoting an old server to win2k and I get some support that way; most of their work is novell.

However my role is lecturer, not system manager. I have spent the last year learning server-side technology and running a system for moodle and other projects. I would prefer the experts running it for me, so that I can concentrate on learning and teaching.

Cheers, Andy D

In reply to Andy Diament

by Ger Tielemans -

We use Novell Netware, but have a Linux server (Debian, the choice of the person we hired)

I think that we (soon?) will move to SUSE now Novell bought that...

In reply to Andy Diament

by Rob Delissen -

That is exactly the reason for mentioning E-smith to you, Andy.

Installs in ten minutes, restores in ten minutes.