Multiple Choice / Multiple answer - a quick question

Multiple Choice / Multiple answer - a quick question

by Owen Thompson -
Number of replies: 4

Hello!

Im sure this will have been asked before, but I cant seem to find it when I had a look around so here goes.

When using multiple choice questions, with multiple answers, say 2 correct and 2 incorrect, is there a way to stop the taker of the quiz from clicking more than 2 of the answers.

I know that you can use the percentages of the overall grade for the question to try and stop people from clicking all the answers, but this will also knock down the grade of someone that only clicks 2 answers (if they pick 1 correct and 1 incorrect), I might just be missing some magic figures with the grades to make it work!

Thanks,

Owen.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Owen Thompson

Re: Multiple Choice / Multiple answer - a quick question

by Steve Garcia -
I'd love to see an answer to this one myself.
In reply to Owen Thompson

by Robert Lefebvre -
I just built a quiz using GIFT and I have a similar problem on some of the questions. In mine, almost all the answers used a radio button to retrieve the answer (radio buttons only allow 1 item to be selected). For some reason I ended up with about a half dozen answers that used checkboxes and they would accept multiple answers. So I think your solution might be in changing from checkboxes to radio buttons? Unfortunately, I can't tell you how to do itthoughtful. If I get to fix mine I'll post back, but perhaps this info might help you find the fix.in the mean time .
In reply to Robert Lefebvre

by Tomasz Walasek -

When you write your multiple choice question, there's a button (somewhere below the written text, on the left) which says 'allow multiple answers'. When you switch it on, you have these checkboxes, when you don't, there are radio buttons and students can only tick one answer.

But this, I guess, still does not solve the problem mentioned in the first post.

In reply to Tomasz Walasek

by Robert Lefebvre -
Thanks Thomasz for the pointer. I still haven't had time to get into this to figure it out, but the strange thing in my case is that I all the questions were created from scratch using GIFT to get them loaded. The questions and answers were all on paper to begin with. We scanned them and I imported it into Excel. Then I manipulated the data to produce a file formatted with GIFT syntax. It worked fine except a few randomly spaced answers have the check boxes instead of radio buttons. Either there is something wrong with my GIFT syntax that creates them or another remote possibility is that they were already in the course and I forgot about it. Perhaps I had created a few questions and used that option you mentioned  and then loaded the GIFT created questions on top of them.  Thanks again for the help.