How do I make assignments worth more than 100 points?

How do I make assignments worth more than 100 points?

Nate Nate-mit -
Antal besvarelser: 24
How do I make assignment submissions worth more than 100 points? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Gennemsnitsbedømmelse:Useful (1)
I svar til Nate Nate

Re: How do I make assignments worth more than 100 points?

Tony Hursh-mit -
You can create a custom scale by clicking on Scales in the course administration block, then clicking on "Add a new scale". Enter a name and description for the new scale (these can be anything that makes sense to you). For the Scale field, enter a list of possible grades separated by commas. For instance, if you wanted a maximum of 150 points with 5 point intervals, you could enter 150,145,140,135,130 ... all the way down to 0. A little tedious, but it works. After you save the changes, you'll be able to select your new scale for any assignment.
I svar til Tony Hursh

John Isner-mit -
Hi Tony,
Two problems with custom scales are pointed out in this discussion: (1) they will always show up as "uncategorized" in the gradebook and (2) they won't affect points earned or total points, even if the scale is numerical (150, 145, etc.).

Instead of a custom scale for assignment X, we could add an offline assignment "extra credit for assignment X" worth 50 points. By checking "extra credit," it won't contribute to total points. We can put this assignment in an unseen block so it doesn't confuse students.

I svar til John Isner

Tony Hursh-mit -
Hmm... when I tested the procedure before replying to Nate, the 150 point score from a custom scale did show up in the gradebook for my test course.

I didn't try using a category at that that time, but when I went back and created a category, then put the custom scale assignment in that activity, it seemed to work fine.

The point value does show up, and the assignment does display in the proper category.

Perhaps that limitation has been fixed?
I svar til Tony Hursh

John Isner-mit -
That's good news. What version of Moodle are you running? Are you using the standard gradebook? I had this problem in 1.6 with the standard gradebook and then discovered the discussion that I referenced.
I svar til John Isner

Tony Hursh-mit -
What version of Moodle are you running?

That's sort of hard to say. It reports itself as 1.6.2, but it's rather heavily patched (both to incorporate security fixes that have come out since then, and with a fair amount of our own custom code). We're using the standard gradebook.

I don't recall doing any patches to the gradebook code offhand, but my log is in my office and it might be a while before I get back to it (heavy blowing and drifting snow here, UIUC is shut down completely).

I svar til Nate Nate

David Banach-mit -
The fix I used was to set $i to the new max total (I used 200)
at about line 3599
of lib/weblib.php

The line number will most likely vary with your version, but the correct line was fairly easy to search for.

You will then have a choice of making your assignments worth up to that total.

Hope it works for you.

David

I svar til David Banach

Kin Cheung-mit -
Hi,
I am new to moodle.
My predecessor had modified lib/weblib.php to increase assisgnment
point value from 100 to 200.
The modification worked great for 1.6.5, but ever since we upgraded
to 1.8+, the same modification does not work anymore.

4695c4690
< for ($i=200; $i>=1; $i--) { // changed max grade from 100 to 200
---
> for ($i=100; $i>=1; $i--) {

Could someone show me what is wrong.

Thank you!

Kin
I svar til Kin Cheung

Rod Gambon-mit -
I have the same problem. The school term starts on Monday and I need to get this fixed as we have been using a 200 point grading system for a couple years and can't go back to the 100 point scale. Does anyone have a fix for this?
I svar til Rod Gambon

John Isner-mit -
Read Tony Hursh's post early in this discussion. You can create a Custom scale with values like 10, 20, 30, ... , 190, 200 (or 100, 110, 120, ..., 190, 200 if you like giving 100 free points). Then in the assignment, select your custom scale for grading. This works in the current release of Moodle, and as far as I know, in earlier releases.
I svar til John Isner

JD Hall-mit -
Doesn't seem to work for me; Using Moodle 1.8.

In a test course I had two exisiting grades. One worth 25, one worth 100.
I created a numerical custom scale. 100, 200, 300 . . . 1000.
I created a third assignment using the custom scale and gave a student 700 points.
Now, in the gradebook, he has a 648% for the class (810 out of 125 points).
24/25 + 86/100 + 700/1000 should be a 72%.

How do I get the value 1000 point assignment to register in the total points for the class?

I tried checking extra credit; but that, as expected, that didn't do anything.

I tried scaling the assignment to 1000, but my '1000' is changed back to 'Custom Scale' (the name of my custom scale).

Ideas?

Thanks - JD
I svar til Kin Cheung

Ethan Blomquist-mit -

I'm running 1.8.2+ and found that you need to modify a different file:  <moodleRoot>/lib/form/modgrade.php

I changed the FOR loop to $i=300 and got the whole list.  This at least worked for the assignments.

I svar til Ethan Blomquist

J m-mit -
If you change this to 300, do you have to change anything else?  Do you also have to change the scales?  I wanted to use this for bonus points.
I svar til Ethan Blomquist

JD Hall-mit -
I tried this on a test xampp server (thankfully), and now the assignment module appears to be broken. I can't edit or create assignments. I just get a blank page.

I changed it back to 100, but ... still broken.

Thoughts?

- JD
I svar til Nate Nate

JD Hall-mit -
Have there been any advancements on this? I've tried two of the suggestions here with no luck.

I haven't looked into Moodle1.9. Does this release address the issue?

- JD
I svar til JD Hall

Gary Anderson-mit -
In lib/weblib.php, find function print_grade_menu.

Change

for ($i=150; $i>=1; $i--) {
$grades[$i] = $i;
}

to

for ($i=150; $i>=1; $i--) { //GVA to allow for 150 from 100
$grades[$i] = $i;
}

Take care,
--Gary
I svar til Gary Anderson

JD Hall-mit -
I made the change on a xampp-test instance of moodle 1.8.2 to moodle\lib\weblib.php,

for ($i=1000; $i>=1; $i--) {
$grades[$i] = $i;
}

but saw no change.

Thoughts?

- JD
I svar til JD Hall

Gary Anderson-mit -
I did a search on my version 1.9 Beta2 for $grades[$i] = $i and found that they have duplicated the code in lib/forms/modgrade.php

I changed it as above, and it works fine.

The new forms library was added after version 1.6 (which is our current production server), so your version uses the new code, but the weblib.php code must be there for compatibility with other modules.

Take care.

--Gary
I svar til Gary Anderson

JD Hall-mit -
Thank you very much!

Making the code change in both places seems to be the key.

Now, do I dare try this on our production server? thoughtful

The teachers want to be able to create assignments worth more than 100 points; but, now, having to scroll through 1000 might spur a new complaint.

Thanks again! - JD
I svar til Nate Nate

Dana Dahlstrom-mit -
As noted earlier, a select box with 1000 options would probably fetch complaints. Frankly I'm inclined to complain about a select box with 100 options (when they're just numbers from 1 to 100). Why don't we just make an ordinary text field for the number of points?
I svar til Nate Nate

Shawn Kulla-mit -
I'm not sure if it has been suggested yet, but you can add graded items and you can type in the value that you want it to be worth. Go to grades>full view and at the bottom click on the "add grade item" button. Type your points in maximum grade field and you can have something worth more than 100. Only drawback is that it doesn't show up in the topic outline, only the grade book.
I svar til Shawn Kulla

Eric Bryant-mit -

bump...any progress on this topic?

I svar til Eric Bryant

Bob Puffer-mit -

You may want to watch (and vote for) MDL-20617 -- it includes patches that allow text input of grades for assignments including floating point numbers.  Could evolve it to allow text input for the original Maximum Grade for the assignment also.

I svar til Eric Bryant

lady sakura haruno-mit -

Hi eric, points in assignment ranges only from o% (no grade) to 100%... we cannot customize regarding that grade points.