Importing glossary and author data

Importing glossary and author data

de Don Quixote -
Número de respuestas: 6

I've just noticed that after having imported a glossary from Mark Burnet, all his entries have been reassign to me (as the author).

In my opinion it would be great, if it were possible to transfer the authors data too. That could be a very nice feature for collaboration.

btw, is there any possibility to reassign the entries back to the original author? I didn't noticed any in the web user interface... Can I do that only in the db thoughtful? (hmm, I prefer not to do it there...)

Andreas

Promedio de valoraciones: -
En respuesta a Don Quixote

Re: Importing glossary and author data

de Stephen Henneberry -
Andreas,
Did you ever work this problem out? I would rather maintain the user data as well in the my central glossary, rather than having all the entries assigned to me. I use separate glossaries for students to submit book reviews, and once I have received all of their reviews I import the data into a main Bookshelf glossary. As the reviews are not my work, I would like them to be credited to the students who wrote them. This would also allow one to use the Browse By Author option to see what books other students are reading.
Anyway, I would love to hear if you ever worked anything out on this...
En respuesta a Stephen Henneberry

de N Hansen -
Stephen-I am thinking about doing something similar on my website, allowing users to post book reviews. I've looked at your site, but because your site is in Japanese, I can't get the answer to some questions I have, and that is how to deal with the specific terminology used in the glossary module that could make it confusing for book review use. For example, in the English version, one can "browse by author" which means the author of the review, not the book itself. I could see this leading to confusion. And then when adding an entry the term "concept" is used, which doesn't really fit a book or even its author. And then people are asked to write a "definiton" which would be better called "review" for a book review or even "description." In short, is there a way to modify the way these terms are used so as to not confuse students? Perhaps there needs to be a mechanism of defining such terms on a glossary-by-glossary level?
En respuesta a N Hansen

de Stephen Henneberry -
Thank you for reminding me!
I had been meaning to do something about that, but it seemed to have fallen off the back burner. I am unaware of a way to make changes on a glossary-by-glossary basis, but you can change the terms globally rather simply. I just now went into the "en" language pack and did some find/replace to switch "Concept" to "Title", "Definition" to "Review", and "Author" to "Reviewer",
I use the Glossary module exclusively for book reviews, so this small change will not have any confusing effects for other glossaries, but it would be nice to have a better solution. It would be nice to have a "book review" option in the module, but I know not how to create one...
Perhaps a Book Review Module? Maybe there is not enough demand for one, but I think that by using the Glossary module as a base, that one could create it fairly easily, with the proper knowledge of course...
En respuesta a Stephen Henneberry

de N Hansen -
I agree maybe book review is too specific a module to find a demand for it. I think perhaps another approach might be better. The alternative would be to tweak the glossary module to allow for more combinations of types of entries. For books, for example, it would be nice to have at least two concept fields-"title" and "author" that could be sorted . Having multiple concept fields might be useful for other things as well-I could imagine a history teacher creating a glossary of important historical events-with two concepts-"event" and "date." A biology teacher could create a glossary of species with two concept fields "common name" and "scientific name."
En respuesta a N Hansen

de Stephen Henneberry -
I think that a great way to adapt for this would be to add options to the Glossary creation page. In the Course creation page, there are options for "Word for Teacher", "Word for Student", etc... Would it be possible to just add some options on the Create New Glossary page as follows:
  • Word for "Concept" ______________
  • Word for "Author" ______________
  • Word for "Category" _____________

It would also be nice to have a "Add additional field" option, with the additional option of making it linkable...
In the meantime, one could use the Keywords for this situation. Take a history teacher as an example, in the Glossary Definition he/she writes something like this: Please add new entries in the follwing format:
Concept=Event
Definition=Brief description or summary of the event
Keywords=Date, Location, Participants

Example: Concept=Invention of the Cotton Gin
Definition= The invention of the Cotton Gin made growing cotton profitabe blah blah blah
Keywords= 1792, Georgia, Eli Whitney

Since the Glossary Description is posted on top of the "New Entry" page, it would serve as a good guide to students while they are posting.
En respuesta a N Hansen

de Stephen Henneberry -
Another idea just came to me...
If you have a biology teacher and a history teacher both using the same installation, and they both want to edit the terms in the glossary module, why not just create separate language packs?
If you are using the "en" language pack, then make some copies, change as many terms as you like in the files, and then save the new language packs as "biology" and "history". Then, in the "Course Settings" page, use the "Force Language" option to apply the proper terms to each course.
This may cause issues if there is a global glossary on the main page, but it seems like a simple solution. Editing the language files is not too difficult. I was able to change mine is less than five minutes.