Editing students' submissions

Editing students' submissions

by Andrew Tunbridge -
Number of replies: 4
I am a new user of 1.7. Forgive me if I am missing something blindingly obvious, but is it possible to edit/add comments directly on students' submissions? For example if they have handed in a Word document, can I make comments direcctly in that document? When I try this, my changes appear to be saved in the temporary file on my computer but  not in the Moodle database.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Andrew Tunbridge

Re: Editing students' submissions

by Mike Lee -
Hi Andrew. If you wanted to add comments directly to the students submissions you could download the file that they've submitted and add comments on the file, save it and then upload the file when you go to grade the assignment. Hopefully this makes any kind of sense and is useful to you.

Mike
In reply to Mike Lee

by Andrew Tunbridge -

Mike - thanks for your advice.

To download the file I presume I right-click on the file link then choose Save Target As.... - this works fine and I can edit the file OK. I can't see anyway to upload this file however,  unless I log in as the student. Am I missing something obvious?

In reply to Andrew Tunbridge

by Jocelyn Graf -
I would like to do the same thing. Is there any way to do this?
In reply to Jocelyn Graf

by William Purcell -
Andrew and Jocelyn,

I am new at this myself, but I think I've figured it out. We are using ver. 1.7.1. When you create an Assignment, set the Assignment Type to "Advanced Uploading of Files." This will allow for you to then upload response files for each student. It will also allow you to set an option on how many times a new/revised student file can subsequently be uploaded. (Apparently, as the student uploads new versions, earlier ones are renamed and stored as earlier drafts.)

When a student then submits a file, you can download, open, and edit it. Once you've edited, you must save it on your hard disk with a new file name. (Ex. Student submits Word file FirstDraft.doc; you save the edited version with your comments/corrections as FirstDraft-1.doc).

Next, from the View Submitted Assignments window click on the Grade button at the right-hand end of the individual student's status bar. The Grade window will open as a pop-up. In the Grade window you will be offered an option to upload a file. Here you can upload the new file you've created, which the student will then be able to access. This will NOT replace the student's file, but rather be available to the student along with their original.

Does that make sense? I hope you are able to decipher my meaning.

good luck

Bill Purcell
Nanzan University
Nagoya, Japan