BlackBoard import

BlackBoard import

by Luca Botturi -
Number of replies: 7

Hi!

We are migrating from BlackBoard and WebCT to Moodle, and I have these problem importing quizzes:

1. With BlackBoard, there is a problem when importing Multiple choiche answers. The BlackBoard export XML uses the <MULTIPLEANSWER> tag, but the Moodle import module does not recognize it - it wants <MULTIPLECHOICE>. I had to change them manually... (I think this is a bug, and should be reported in the bug tracker, but I couldn't manage to create my own account...

2. With WebCT - I just get a number of errors (like wrong sum of percentages in positive answers, or missing alcosing tag...) + warnings (:IMAGE missing and such things). We are exporting from WebCT 4.1 CE.

thanks!

Luca
eLab - Switzerland

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luca Botturi

Re: BlackBoard import

by Scott Elliott -
Would you be able to provide a file you are trying to import?  (email as an attachment to me privately if you wish).

This is not necessarily a bug, but a missing feature.  I think this would be a simple addition, but I am not familiar with the XML structure for <MULTIPLEANSWER>.  If you manually went through and changed MULTIPLEANSWER to MULTIPLECHOICE and everything worked fine, then things should be very easy to fix.
In reply to Scott Elliott

by Luca Botturi -

Thanks for the answer, Scott!

Here is one of the files, plus one version of the "replaced" one, where I just replaced MULTIPLEANSWER with MULTIPLECHOICE.

I hope it helps!

Luca

In reply to Luca Botturi

by Luca Botturi -

Well, I could attach only one file - here is the replaced one!

Luca

In reply to Luca Botturi

by Scott Elliott -
Alright.  I've had a look and you should be warned that your solution of changing MULTIPLECHOICE to MULTIPLEANSWER will not actually give credit to all possible correct answers.  MULTIPLECHOICE assumes one answer, so when the code sees that, it will only count the first correct answer in the choice list.  Subsequent correct answers will be given no credit sad

It should be fairly simple for me to add the code for MULTIPLEANSWER, but I'm off to a conference this afternoon and will not be able to add such functionality until sometime next week.

In the meantime, you can edit each question in Moodle (after uploading the way you did) by changing them to allow multiple answers, and then by assinging the grade of 100% to the other correct answers.

by Luca Botturi -

Thanks!

I have no hurry for that quizzes, so I'll wait. Thanks!

Luca

by Luca Botturi -

Hi Scott. I think you noticed that some other guys had the same problem here. Any news about Quiz import form Bb?

Thanks!

Luca

In reply to Luca Botturi

by Scott Elliott -
Luca,
I have made changes to the blackboard import so that multipe answers will work.  I have not tested it much, so if you have a place you can test it and give me feed back I would greatly appreciate it.

If you use CVS, the update is there.  If you don't use CVS, email me privately and I will send you the file you will need to replace.

Thanks,
Scott