In Australia "people wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people"

In Australia "people wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people"

by Samuli Karevaara -
Number of replies: 16
Well, maybe not, though I can't be sure as I've never been there, but Australia seems to mirror what we have here:

According to World Weather the weather in Perth is "Fine" with a healthy temperature of +36 degrees in Celsius today. When I drove to work, the thermometer in my Car clocked at -35 degrees in Celsius here in Southern Finland. (That's -31 in Fahrenheit.) We're a bit behind in the global warming, I guess. (Ok, should not joke with grave matters. Scratch that, I should joke, and take other action also.)

Well, greetings to Perth! But don't look for pity from me if it's too hot at the office tongueout
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Samuli Karevaara

Re: In Australia "people wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people"

by Frances Bell -
In UK, we are predicted '7 inches of snow' tomorrow and panic is already predicted.
In 'Watching the English' Kate Fox identified the weather as a popular and safe topic of conversation for English people (see I am fulfilling my stereotype). For people with real weather, like you Finnish, it would be very entertaining to see the hysteria that a few inches of snow can induce in the British media, not to mention the disruption to the transport network.
In reply to Frances Bell

by Samuli Karevaara -
Two snow related anecdotes:
1) A foreigner (forgot from which country, maybe from somewhere of the southern parts of the North America) was visiting my brother and noticed about 1 meter high sticks in the ground on both sides of a small road and wondered what they are for. He didn't believe it when my brother told him that they are there so when the snow comes we still know where the road is... On highways they are for the dark (with reflectors), but on small roads they are called "plowing-sticks".

2) I lived in Dublin for a year and there was one day when it snowed. To my eye it looked like one (yes, one) inch of snow. At least one third of the people didn't show up at work because they were "snowed in". Well, this might tell more about the "relaxed" Irish attitude than their inexperience with snow. big grin

by Timothy Takemoto -
I will be going to Australia on Sunday. I wonder if there is surf in Sydney.

Not that I can, surf that is. I am a .
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Alexandre Enkerli -
Yeah? Well, I'm... I'm BSD, 'kay?
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Frances Bell -
Nice link Tim. 'Linux, you'll only play with yourself'big grin

by Alexandre Enkerli -
Ah, snow!
Such an integral part of Canadian life. We tease all of these who are so unlucky not to have had our intense training in shoveling, crazy carpet sliding, snowfort making, and boot-skiing...
But thanks to GW (Global Warming), Canada will be able to produce more wine. I prefer coffee and beer over wine. sad
In reply to Frances Bell

by Dailia Adams -
If you think a few inches of snow in England put people in a panic, you should see what an inch does to the southeastern US.
In reply to Dailia Adams

by Art Lader -
> you should see what an inch does to the southeastern US

LOL! That's the truth!

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Jeffery Watkins -
Central NY does not even blink if there is less than 6 inches of snow.

This week, Oswego County has received 72+ inches of snow in some places, and more is forecast today.

My old school district has been out all week because of it, and below 0 Fahrenheit temperatures.

Jeff
In reply to Jeffery Watkins

by Tony Hursh -
It's a balmy -3 F (-19 C) here in central Illinois as I write, with a wind chill of -19 F (-28 C). It reminds me of my former home (Alaska). However, they NEVER close school in Alaska on account of snow. Otherwise there'd be no school from September until May. smile

They do, however, have recess inside if it's colder than -10 F (-24 C).

In reply to Tony Hursh

by N Hansen -
Tony-We've got the same weather up here in Chicago. My husband was lucky, he left for Egypt on Jan. 15, the day the temperatures really started dropping for the first time this winter (except for a brief cold spell in early December and the earliest ever snow on Oct. 8). I think since he has been gone it has only gotten above freezing temperature one day, and there is no above freezing days forecast for the foreseeable future. We used to have all this moisture on the inside of our windows and I even found some mold growing in the closet a month and a half ago. Now the moisture in the air is all gone and the furniture and even shut off appliances keep making all these odd cracking noises because of the lack of humidity. I have not set foot outdoors for 7 days now, but since I work at home using Moodle I can get away with that. Moodle-the antidote to cold weather!big grin
In reply to N Hansen

by Tony Hursh -
Yeah, we've had the humidifier going non-stop here and using the tea kettle rather than the microwave to heat water, in an attempt to get more moisture in the air.

So far, though, I haven't seen the tell-tale sign of Alaska-style winter weather-- that would be when frost forms on the hinges and other metal parts of the door on the inside of the house.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
We usually have a few days every summer over 40°C with maximums usually hovering in the 30's. This past Christmas in Perth for example: 26th 41.2°C, 27th 40.9°C and 28th 41.6°C smile The record was 46.2 degrees. A nice day to wear hats on your feet should you be outdoors.

by paula barnes -
If an inch of snow ever fell in Sydney there would not be panic there would be mayhem!!! Most of us Sydneysiders have never even snow! big grin

by michela russo -
Australia is the loveliest place to live in the whole world. The sun is more dangerous than in Europe, but it also depends in which state you go. Tasy is pretty chilli even in summer for example