Link a Lesson Branch to a Hot Pot activity

Link a Lesson Branch to a Hot Pot activity

by Seth Dickens -
Number of replies: 2
Dear all,

Arrgh! It may be just brain fatigue as I have been Moodling all day (fantastic software!) but I am stuck at a dead end and don't quite know what to do now.

Basically, I wanted to write an interesting introduction to a hot potatoes cloze activity. So far so good, it's written and ready.

I used the "Lessons" activity and made a slideshow using Powerpoint, which I have now uploaded. It is sitting there nicely (all working fine) as a branch table waiting for the 'piece de resistance' my hot pot cloze reading. However try as I might, I just cant seem to work out how to get the "Next" button in my lesson to link straight to the Hot Pot activity. Is it possible?

Talking of which I'd very much like for the students to continue on after the Hot Pot activity to a discussion forum. Could I create a lesson question page to offer them the chance of entering the forum too, or do they have to go back to the main "topics" page and manually choose to enter the forum?

I'm really sorry if this is an elementary Moodle question, I'm still a bit of a newb I'm afraid!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Seth Dickens

Re: Link a Lesson Branch to a Hot Pot activity

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think a Branch table in the lesson module can only branch to other pages in the lesson module. I don't think you can branch off to a Hot Potatoes activity - or any other any independent webpage.

The current HotPot module will usually return students to the course page after the HotPot activity is finished. The only exception to this is if you set "Show next quiz" to "Yes", see the help file for further details, in which case the next HotPot activity will be displayed.

In the new version of the HotPot module, which I hope will be available in the next few months, I hope to allow more flexibility about regarding where to go after the HotPot activity is complete.

best regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

Re: Link a Lesson Branch to a Hot Pot activity

by Seth Dickens -
Sounds good Gordon thanks!!!

I guess at the moment I may be over prescriptive with my ideas for how lessons should progress from one part to the next, I am still getting the hang of it and want to transfer as many classroom skills as possible to our online presence.

Anyway, I'll be keeping an ear to the ground as to upcoming Moodle / Hotpot enhancements. I'm officially hooked!