Course Detail

Course Detail

by Hammad Khan -
Number of replies: 14
Hi All:

I like people browsing on my website to see the course listing and its description (which is currently available). In addition, I like them to see when the start date for the course is (that field is already availabe, just need to be displyed on the course listing page) and how many time a week its been offered with class times, course cost if any (a new field of cost will be helpfull in course settings). Basically all the nuts which is associated with a course.

I like these setting to be displayed before someone actually decides to register for it.

Is it possible (anything is possible)? but to incorporate these changes easily. If someone has already made these changes or know how to, help will be appreciated.

Thank you, Good work, keep it up.

Hammad
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Hammad Khan

Re: Course Detail

by Gustav W Delius -
Why don't you simply include all that information in the course summary? As you said: the course summary is what is visible to people before they enrol. You can make it as long as you like.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Hammad Khan -
I can definately do that and for now I did but as a little bit of programmer myself I think its redundent since we already have fields for start date and course length why not just display that information when someone is viewing course instead of me typing all that information in and then changing the text again when that same course is offered again.

Well if someone has not already done it, I am going to hack it myself and try to see if I can get it to work.  smile
In reply to Hammad Khan

by Gustav W Delius -
You will have to put the extra code into course/info.php as well as into the print_course() function in course/lib.php.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Hammad Khan -
Okay, I worked few hours last night and manage to get all the things I was talking about in the code. You can check it out at: http://englishsuite.brisksolutions.com/course/category.php?id=17

I think I might make few more changes and add the class session days and times.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

-Hammad
In reply to Hammad Khan

by angel williams -
I'd love to have this code snippet to use inthe same way, including your class session days and times.

I'm especially interested in the Course Fee input. I'd like to provide a link (REGISTER NOW, etc) to purchasing a course key right next to the fee info.

I'm interested in any further tweaks people have done to allow for online payment of courses, setting up distance learning facilities that allow ongoing registration, etc rather than the more common university, school-related setup.
In reply to Hammad Khan

by angel williams -

Hi again...

I like the changes that you've made and would be grateful if you offered the code snippet for this. Any help would be most appreciated.

It seems you added an extra field to. Is that the case?

Thanks,
angel
In reply to angel williams

by Hammad Khan -

Hello angel:

Sorry, I didn't notice that you were interested in the extra coding to moodle. I'll be happy to provide you with a patch but right now I don't have any. I'll post it here as soon as I can.

-Hammad

In reply to angel williams

by Juan Martinez -

Hello Angel,

If you have the code please i would like to have too.

Thanks,

In reply to Hammad Khan

by Hammad Khan -
Here is the patch few people wanted. I didn't get a chance to test the patch so backup before you apply it. NO GARANTEES THAT THIS PATCH WILL WORK.

This patch is against Moodle 1.2 To apply copy patch file to moodle directory and then:

patch -p0 < course_patch_against_moodle_1.2
In reply to Hammad Khan

by W Page -
Hi Hammad!

Thanks for posting the code.  I am a newbie so, I hope you do not mind if I ask you just a few more questions.  Maybe, even another experienced Moodler might be able to help me out and respond to them.
  • Which files do the code change?
  • The course_patch_against_moodle_1.2 file goes into the "moodle" directory only?  It does not go into and other specific directory?
  • Is the command a SSH command?  If so, is it executed within the "moodle" directory?
  • If one does not have access to SSH, how can the code changes be done via FTP?
Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

WP1
In reply to Hammad Khan

by Juan Martinez -

Hi Hammad,

Could  you please zip those file that you change it because Im using easyphp 1.7 and moodle1.3, and i dont understand too much what you attached.

Thansk Hammad,

In reply to Hammad Khan

by Nicole Snyder -

Hello Hammad,

I read the patch that you had to download and I made all of the necessary changes that you listed in the patch, the only problem that I am having with it at the moment is the Price. No matter what I enter in this field it post nothing but a USD by the course?? Everything Else works great though!

Thank Yousmile

Nicole

In reply to Nicole Snyder

by Hammad Khan -
I believe I left out little bit of instructions. Price module will not work until you insert a column in your moodle database table 'mdl_course'. So here is the instructions for mysql database:

alter table mdl_course add price double(4,2) default '0.00';