RSS Through Email?

RSS Through Email?

by Alexandre Enkerli -
Number of replies: 2
Was thinking of a group of technophiles who might help me with an RSS issue and the Moodle community lounge was my first choice, as I really feel welcomed here... wide eyes

So, what would be the best way to receive email notifications of new entries in an RSS feed? I guess it could apply to Moodle's RSS but what I mean has more to do with a superb blog that I would like to track.
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/
It uses MT and its feed is: http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/index.rdf

Of course, I could use a feedreader like Thunderbird, Live Bookmarks in Firefox, the Feed support in Flock, Bloglines, Google Reader, NewsGator... Problem is, every time I start using one of those, I end up with way too many things to read and I just give up trying to catch up.
Several blogs have a way for readers to subscribe in order to receive email notices every time a new entry is posted. I'm pretty there's a way to do this with blogs which don't have this feature but I'm not finding it right away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alexandre Enkerli

Re: RSS Through Email?

by Frances Bell -
It's difficult to see how that would be lower maintenance than a newsreader.
I am getting on very well with netvibes.com. I have a desktop tab with gmail, writely, etc. and a separate tab for RSS feeds.
I use digest for Moodle and skim read many forums, then keep an eye on Social Forum (where I am moderator) by looking at RSS feed in Netvibes.
In reply to Frances Bell

Re: RSS Through Email?

by Alexandre Enkerli -
Well, it has a lot to do with my pattern of use, which is quite specific.
The advantage of having email notices of new blog entries is that I can manage my reading sessions more seamlessly. With Thunderbird's RSS support, I end up with an accumulation of unread posts from a variety of blogs. I know I could limit my feedreading to a few blogs but when I do so, I end up not reading any of them because that would be another reading session.
I know it all sounds inefficient but it ends up working rather well in my reading habits.
A simpler way to say it is that it's better for me to have all messages in one window. But, then, it sounds too simple! wink

I tried adapting my reading habits to feedreading through several methods, but it hasn't worked yet. Maybe it'll work with Netvibes. But I've yet to succeed at being a portal user. Do you know if Netvibes sends notifications when new entries are found in a feed?

Actually, there might be a non-RSS solution. IIRC, there were some update-notification systems, in the mid-1990s. They probably all failed with the bubble bust. Besides, RSS fulfills much the same function for those who can handle it. But, as much as I try to make it work, following RSS feeds still doesn't work for me.
What's really funny is that RSS works very very well for me with podcasts. I listen to a lot of podcasts (especially audio podcasts for use during walks and commutes). I just wish there were a good podcatcher which could allow one to categorise podcasts and have conditional updating schedules. But I'm quite happy with iTunes as a podcatcher nonetheless. (Yes, I did try Juice and others. None of them really did it for me, unfortunately.)

Anyhoo... (As always), thanks a lot for your kind help!