Moodle 1.8 stable branch starts today

Moodle 1.8 stable branch starts today

by Martin Dougiamas -
Number of replies: 23
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Just so you know, I'll be branching MOODLE_18_STABLE and releasing a 1.8 beta later today, assuming no more major blockers or database changes crop up.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Moodle 1.8 stable branch starts today

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
That is great news. Any progress on the inclusion of Feedback or Questionnaire? If not, I would like to see it on the Roadmap (if possible).
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Art Lader -

No one asked, but my vote goes to Feedback.

-- Art

In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Feedback, nwiki and gradebookplus are all on my short list but there just hasn't been time to bring them all up to scratch with the new features in core recently (XMLDB, XHTML Strict 1.0, accessibility compliance etc). I hope to add them soon.

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Martin,

by "soon", do you mean 1.8.1 (or .2), or 1.9 ?
In reply to Séverin Terrier

by Martin Dougiamas -
I mean 1.9, we don't add new features (ie new bugs) in stable branches.

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I should have known that clin d’oeil

But the soon (relative, that could have been "next release") let me doubt...

Updated in the (french) roadmap.

Thanks for the new beta smile

by Anthony Borrow -
Martin - My apologies for the confusion, I had assumed based on your earlier post in the Questionnaire and Feedback section (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=52861&parent=274482) that Feedback was slated for 1.8 and that it was just not yet added to the official Roadmap. I am grateful for Andreas' work and I am happy to see it being included in 1.9. I will continue to provide testing and any support I can to keep things moving. Peace.

by Anthony Borrow -
The inclusion of feedback, nwiki, and gradebookplus in Moodle 1.8 are all VERY EXCELLENT, one might say Moodle-riffic.

by Art Lader -

Woohoo! That's great, Martin.

Thanks for the update.

-- Art

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Grrreat smile
nwiki has currently implemented XMLDB (roles, security improved a lot, and full mediawiki) and we are going for Strict XHTML...
Any tips on stability requirements, whede do we strart from ?
Cheers
Ludo
In reply to Ludo (Marc Alier)

by Robert Allerstorfer -
Hi Ludo,

since NWiki won't go into 1.8, but (likely) into 1.9, I think it would be a good idea to also reflect that in your "official" NWiki Documentation which currently states that it will be part of 1.8.

best,
rob.

In reply to Robert Allerstorfer

by Ludo (Marc Alier) -
Thanks Rob,
its been updated...
I'll keep working on this "oficial" NWiki Documentation untill I can move it to docs.moodle.org/en/wiki and make it oficial
Cheers
Ludo

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Hi Martin, just want to say that it would be really great if you include both nwiki and gradebookplus in 1.8.x if possible, this would really help us a lot!

I don't know if 1.8 already have a quickmail block or something similar, but we totally reworked on the quickmail block that Humboldt did, which is in beta testing on our production server right now. I'm in the process to clean up the codes a little bit and add some documents so that we could contribute back to the Moodle community. If you find this might be a useful tool to be included in 1.8.x or something please let me know. Thanks!
Attachment quickmail_screenshot.png

by Martin Dougiamas -
We're currently at 1.8 Beta but still sitting on HEAD (I've not branched just yet).

Let's keep it like that for a few days to make it as easy as possible for bug fixers.

In the MEANTIME PLEASE KEEP HEAD FREE OF NEW BUGS! big grin

by Jan Toelstede -
You anyone give a short estimated release-date of the 1.8 final?

I know, usually you can say it exactly, but what is the roadmap?
In reply to Jan Toelstede

by Martin Dougiamas -
A lot of bugs are coming out the testing process (yay!).

The crucial list to watch is this list of unresolved 1.8 bugs.

I really don't want to make a release while there are still items on this list. I would rather be late with the release than rush out something that will give people problems.

Moodle 1.8 is going to be very stable and usable (and accessible!) as I think most people would prefer wink
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Jan Toelstede -
Yes, of cause, i agree.

Stable releases are important due to reduce problems.

I only hoped to get a rough estimate ... maybe within the next 1 week, 1 month, 6 month, 1 year ... ?

by Genner Cerna -
thanks for the information martin... i prefer very stable and usable. big grin

by Séverin Terrier -
I think that 6 month is long, and 1 week perhaps optimistic.

I would better count on 1 month, and perhaps you'll have good news before wink