Jquiz with reading text, but no Questions!

Jquiz with reading text, but no Questions!

by Seth Dickens -
Number of replies: 12
Hi There Guys,

I'm trying to get used to a brand new installation of Moodle (Almost a week now on my localhost test site big grin), but I've come up against a small problem. Well, Tell you the truth, there have been many, I've managed to sort them out, but I cant figure this one out at all!

As the post title says, I'm trying to import a J Quiz Multiple Choice Quiz, with a reading pane in it, but I'm having a problem, my questions don't appear!!! All I get is the reading text. It works fine if I try just the HTML version produced by Hot Potatoes itself!

I've included the JQuiz file here, has anyone got any smart ideas why this might be?

All help is much appreciated.

Seth.

P.S. Does anyone have any smart ideas of good reading material for a complete TEFL Moodle Newbie? I've got the book on the way, but would love any other suggestions.
P.P.S. I hope no-one minds if I also post a duplicate of this post in the Moodle English language teachers Forum, I really want to sort this out a.s.a.p!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Seth Dickens

Re: Jquiz with reading text, but no Questions!

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Seth,
I have tried out the quiz and confirmed that the questions don't show when running the quiz via Moodle from the "jqz" file.

The simplest fix, to get you going, is to use the "html" version of the quiz.

The reason that the HotPot module doesn't handle the quiz correctly is that ALL the questions are blank. I have never come across such a quiz before. It may be possible to change the HotPot module to handle this kind of quiz, and I am investigating that now.

However, it seems that what you are trying to create is a cloze exercise, in which case I suggest that you redo the quiz using JCloze.

What's more, Michael Rottmeier has created an add-on for JCloze called "JCloze Dropdown" which may be even closer to what you are trying to achieve
http://teachingtools.michael-rottmeier.de/jcl_dropdown_v6_1.htm

The HotPot module will handle "JCloze dropdown" quizzes, if the quz is run from the html version of the quiz.

If I find a fix for empty questions JQuiz, I will let you know!

all the best
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Seth Dickens -
Hiya Gordon,

First of all, thanks for the lightning quick response!

I'll check out your ideas this evening for creating the cloze document. You're right I did want to create a cloze type document, but with 3 distractors rather than the 3 other possible correct answers which is available in JCloze. It sounds however, that the JCloze dropdown could be just what I'm looking for.

Finally, If I run the HTML version of a quiz from the hotpot module, will it recognise and remember student responses? this could help me intergrate other Hot Potatoes files I've made in the past, which I'd slightly modified. (The cloze I sent you isn't at all modified)

Thanks again,
In reply to Seth Dickens

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Seth,
yes, the HotPot module will "remember" all the student responses whether the quiz is run from the ".jcl" file or the html file.

I don't know whether your modified html quizzes will work, but why not just try them, and see? I doubt you will break anything - but if you do, it wasn't my fault wink

all the best
Gordon

by Seth Dickens -
Good on you Gordon! (And Michael Rottmeier too!)

The tool that Michael has developed is exactly what I had been trying to do! Thanks for pointing out the link Gordon!

Pedagogically, I want to make sure my (advanced language) students can choose from distractors that are very close to the correct answer. This is the sort of task they'll have to do in their exam. I'm surprised Hot Potatoes can't do this automatically, but I'm dead pleased that you've pointed out a hack / patch that can do this. I'll be setting it up straight away.

Thanks again for your super prompt help,

Seth.
In reply to Seth Dickens

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Seth,
good to hear you have found what you are looking for!

In the meantime I have fixed up the HotPot module so it can handle empty JQuiz questions with at least one answer, e.g. you "cloze" JQuiz. In due course the modified HotPot module will be available from the Moodle CVS or downloads page, but in case anyone is in a hurry to install it, I have attached the Moodle 1.6 version to this message. The attached script should be put at "mod/hotpot/template/v6.php"

Thanks again Seth, for letting me have your quiz to test on approve

all the best
Gordon

P.S. Here is your "cloze" JQuiz run from its ".jcl" file:
http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/16/ms/mod/hotpot/view.php?id=718
In reply to Seth Dickens

by Martin Holmes -
Hi there,

There are two reasons Hot Potatoes doesn't include an exercise type like Michael's add-on. One is that it's really a multiple-choice exercise, and we've always made exercises like that using a reading text with numbered gaps, corresponding to multiple-choice questions; that allows us to give more useful feedback for both wrong and right answers for every gap. The other is that Michael already created the add-on, and we wouldn't want to steal his idea and build it back into Hot Potatoes; that would be a bit unkind. He put work into his add-ons, and we want to encourage people to develop extra source files like his.

Cheers,
Martin
In reply to Seth Dickens

Problems with Jmatch, Jmix, and/or I.E and Firefox

by Jack Drolet -
Hi,

For some reason, my moodle won't display any of the objects in a j-match exercise when I run it with Firefox. I have a listening activity that combines some j-match and j-cloze exercises that I built with masher. The same thing happened last week with j-mix - it wouldn't display any of the words in the standard format, although it did work with drag/drop format.

It seems to work with IE, but IE doesn't work for me because it prompts permission to run Active X controls for each audio file. Sometimes a single matching exercise might have eight or more audio files, so that really doesn't work either.

This seems to be a recent problem - never happened last fall. Does anyone have any ideas?

If you were to access the activity from this address, it should work fine:

http://silc-ua.com/moodledata/5/EASL/nonapology

But in my moodle site it does not. I don't want to post the course website location here because there is student production on the site, but feel free to e-mail me if you want to take a look: droletja@gmail.com

Thank you,

Jack

In reply to Jack Drolet

Re: Problems with Jmatch, Jmix, and/or I.E and Firefox

by Seth Dickens -
Hi Jack!

I can confirm that the activity does work well from the above link. I'll email you to check out your Moodle version. I'm no techno head, but I do use Firefox so will tell you if I can see things or not.

Seth.
In reply to Jack Drolet

by Seth Dickens -

Your site works as you say it does and doesn’t work like you say it doesn’t!!

In other words lessons with plugins work (badly ) in Internet Explorer 7 with lots of Active X warning messages, they don't work at all in Firefox 2.0.

I was having a similar problem with my site last week. If I remember rightly it was something to do with the type of media plugin I was using on from Hot Potatoes, but I’m not 100% on that. If I remember rightly however, it worked ok when I chose only the flash plugin from Hot Potatoes.

As for the drag and drop sections of your lesson, hmmmm I really don't know!

I’ll test my media plugins and get back to you.

Seth

In reply to Seth Dickens

by Jack Drolet -
Okay - found a (slightly annoying) solution but a solution all the same. If I uncheck the box for "Put resource in a frame to keep site navigation visible" then it's all good.

Thanks,

Jack
In reply to Jack Drolet

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Jack,
I have downloaded the chain of quizzes and will investigate later today.

My hunch is that the sounds are not playing because the HotPot module is not able to recognize and convert the relative URLs to absolute URLs. Therefore, if you change the URLs of the media player and media files to absolute URLs yourself, the quiz may well work in Moodle too.

Another idea would be to set "Force media plugins" to "Yes". This should replace the current player with Moodle's standard media player.

Anyway, if I find out anything definite, I'll report back

cheers
Gordon

by Seth Dickens -
HI guys,

I cant profess to know why, but I Jack's (ace!) lesson works fine on my Moodle site.

I downloaded it from the working link that Jack gave us chose File > Save As >Web Page Complete zipped the files then uploaded them to my Moodle site.

Then I selected the add hotpot activity from a test course I created. I selected the html version of the file I downloaded from Jack's working site. I DIDN'T ask Moodle to force media plugins and the result is now working fine in Firefox for me.

Have a look if you want here: http://sethdickensenglish.no-ip.org/mod/hotpot/view.php?id=135

You can access the course using guest access.

Would this mean Gordon, that the problem Jack is facing isn't necessarily one of relative or absolute URLs?

The ugly mess below is a copy of the html code from the file I downloaded from Jack's working version and it only has relative URLs. It's the same as the file I uploaded to my Moodle. Hmmm... maybe I don't really know enough about this to make wild suppositions like this!blush

data="intro3_files/brenda_lee.mp3" type="audio/quicktime" height="30" width="100"><param name="src" value="brenda_lee.mp3"> <param name="autoplay" value="false"> <param name="controller" value="true"> <object class="MediaPlayerNotForIE" type="video/quicktime" data="intro3_files/brenda_lee.mp3" height="30" width="100"> <param name="src" value="brenda_lee.mp3"> <param name="autoplay" value="false"> <param name="controller" value="true"> </object> </object>