General help

Ok - I have an icon / avatar problem in the profile area

Picture of Cathy Maher
Ok - I have an icon / avatar problem in the profile area

I know this is going to be the silliest question anyone has asked, but we just installed a clean version of Moodle 1.7 on our new Linux server. In the profile area where you can add your own personal icon or avatar, I get an error saying that the server does not support jpeg when I tried a jpeg file, png, the same. In the course area, I can upload and place image files that are jpeg without any problem. Does anyone know why or what the problem is in the user profile area that it will not support the graphic? I even tried an .ico file just to make sure - I did not get an error, just nothing happened. What is even more interesting, I was able to back up a course (the backup issue is another whole story...) or two from our current 1.6 server to the new 1.7 server and the user's icon/ avatar is there, but it cannot be changed to a new one, because the server does not support jpeg, etc. Any ideas?

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Mauno Korpelainen
Re: Ok - I have an icon / avatar problem in the profile area

You could first check php info if there is something about GD

Slash arguments setting (Administration ► Server ► HTTP) usually helps if you can't see uploaded images but there should be no error messages

Picture of Cathy Maher

Hi Mauno,

I had made that change when v1.7 was installed and GD 2x is installed. This is located in the Administration > Server > System Paths. This is one of those things where images work and can be uploaded in the course area, but not in the user area.

Cathy

Picture of Mauno Korpelainen

You could check/add permissions if this is only a problem in moodledata/users folder and subfolders. Check folders and files permissions.