unicode 3.1 characters (above v.2)

unicode 3.1 characters (above v.2)

by Matthias Arnold -
Number of replies: 1
hello,

we have a problem with chinese characters that are not part of unicode v.2, but have been encoded in v.3.1, i.e. in block "CJK Unified Ideographs Extension B".

these characters can be typed (using an ms-ime) or pasted (using unicode's decimal or hexadecimal ncr) and appear correctly. however, after submitting to moodle, these characters will not only disappear, but none of the following character will come up either.

this problem appears wherever the editor is used, (both text and html). it does not appear in the "summary" fields, when entered as unicode ncr in html mode.

we use moodle 1.6.1 on a red hat machine with apache, default codepage is utf-8 (default setting).

how can we solve that problem?

with kind regards,
matthias arnold, heidelberg university

example:
(8 chinese characters each, the fourth character is unicode 3.1; output will possibly be stopped there; to see the characters you might use the unicode code converter at http://people.w3.org/rishida/scripts/uniview/conversion.php)
utf-8: E4 B8 9E E5 98 89 E6 95 A2 F0 A4 85 8A EF BC 88 E8 AE 9E EF BC 89 E4 B9 8B
decimal ncr's: 丞嘉敢𤅊(讞)之
chinese (copy from word): 丞嘉敢
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matthias Arnold

Re: unicode 3.1 characters (above v.2)

by Matthias Arnold -
maybe i did not write clear enough.
can anybody enter a character above unicode v.2 and gets it displayed correctly? for an example, use 𤅊 (the 4th character in my example).
a response would be very much apprecciated.
regards,
matthias

note:
1st line entered in ncr (i.e. & # 1 9 9 9 8 ;), second line copy&pasted the characters (i.e. 丞)
丞嘉敢𤅊(讞)之
丞嘉敢