Showing Course Blocks

Showing Course Blocks

by Stephen Smith -
Number of replies: 8
Using Moodle 1.7.1+

I want to display a resource (a web page) with the course blocks. So I edit the resource and select 'same window' -> 'show the course blocks'. This is exactly what I want except:

1) The administrator button 'turn editing on/off' appears to have disappeared is this a bug? Or have I done something else wrong?

2) The students have no real way of navigating through the course resources (the jump menu has disappeared). Is their a navigation block that I could use?

As I'm fairly new to moodle is their a better way of achieving the above?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Smith

Re: Showing Course Blocks

by John Isner -
I'll make a stab at answering (1). If you could edit the resource page, you could add or remove blocks. Then the blocks on the resource page would no longer be the same as on the main course page, and the resource would need to maintain its own list of blocks. I doubt that resources can do that.
In reply to John Isner

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
This is an old thread but people having taken part in the discussion may be interested in voting for MDL-17161 which is related to it.
Joseph

by John Ridge -
I don't know why you want to display a web page with the course blocks,
My solution doesn't do this, but it will work.
It is to add the resource(s) to the main menu block (if its for the front page), or the links block on the relevant course page.
Then put the two blocks next to each other.
In reply to John Ridge

by John Isner -
I don't know why you want to display a web page with the course blocks

But maybe Stephen knows? It is, after all, an option under "Compose a Web page"

Attachment same_course_blocks_option_on_Web_page_resource.png
In reply to John Isner

by Stephen Smith -
What I want is to create a number of web pages which introduce the current course and provide the user with an easy to navigate menu preferably in the style of a block. Ideally I want the introductory pages to be in the same style as the course home page.

So using the 1st topic as mechanism to achieve this seemed like a good idea and by showing the course block would allow the students to differentiate between the introductory information and the actual course (when the blocks are hidden).

But perhaps I'm using the software the wrong way round.
In reply to John Ridge

by Stephen Smith -
Please could you explain how to insert a 'links block'? I don't appear to have the 'links block' in the blocks drop down menu on the course pages. Is this an additional module?

by John Ridge -
Sorry!

I meant an html block.
Create the links to the resources from there.

by terence armentano -
I have the same issue going on in version 1.8. I would appreciate any help on this issue.

Terence