activity - 'online text'

activity - 'online text'

by marc helfano -
Number of replies: 6

im a little confused about the activity 'online text', in understand the assignement and submit a file [or multiples] , the web page, the label, etc.. but for the 'online text'... where exactly are they supposed to enter this online text?

what is the difference b/w 'online text' and 'offline activity' ...?

i see they both have assignement due/available dates, but i dont see where the 'online text' actually gets entered! [by the students]

thanks
marc

Average of ratings: -
In reply to marc helfano

Re: activity - 'online text'

by Jeff Herman -
This threw me a little, too. When setting up the assignment, there are two tabs at the top of the screen. You start out on the "Update" tab. You must also go to the "Roles" tab and assign the students in the class to the "Student" role (or whatever role you are using) for this assignment. Once that is done, an "Edit my submission" button will appear when viewing the assignment.

-Jeff
In reply to Jeff Herman

by marc helfano -

thanks jeff,

so i need to add students to 'each assignment' as students role as well as already listed as 'student' in the course itself?

m

In reply to marc helfano

by marc helfano -

i tried adding the student1 as a role of student for the assignment , and still the 'update assgnmt' button in the upper right doesnt appear [when i log in as student1], heres a screen shot fof the student screen.\

thanks

marc

In reply to marc helfano

by Jeff Herman -
The "Update Assignment" button will only appear for the Teacher or Administrator to use. As I mentioned before, students will use the "Edit my submission" button that will appear when they've had their Role assigned to the Online Text Assignment. The "Edit my submission" button will appear in the center of the screen below the summary text for the assignment.

When I tested this, even while still in my Administrator login, the "Edit my submission" button appeared once I set student roles. When I logged in using my student test account, the "Edit my submission" button was still there.
In reply to marc helfano

by John Isner -
It's a good idea to have a dummy student account so you can see how things work from the student perspective. Set up the online assignment as teacher. Then login as your dummy student and click on the assignment activity to see what happens next.

An online assignment is appropriate when you want the student to complete the assignment in one sitting. For example, many people are now forced to use it as a replacement for the denigrated Journal entry. It can also be used like an essay question on a test. If you want to give students more time, choose upload or offline assignment.

An offline activity is really just a resource, like a Web page or a file. Students read it to see what you want them to do, and then do the work completely outside of Moodle. They do not even submit their work through Moodle. For example, they may hand in their work on paper. The only value that Moodle adds is leaving a place in the gradebook for a manually-entered grade.
In reply to John Isner

by marc helfano -

OK, i found out why the edit my submission button was not therewhen i log in a a student, and the basis for my situation.

the online text assignment was not set to begin/available until 02/05/07-02/11/07, thus since its not the 5ht of feb as yet, i didnt let me edit my submission, sio i unchecked the start date for the assignment, and now i see the edit my saubmission button there

thanks all

magic marc