Create/delete/update a category

Create/delete/update a category

by Jason Mi -
Number of replies: 4

New to the forum and moodle in general, not sure if this is the right place to post this question.

Basically, after installing a moodle on my machine, I went ahead to create a course. I then noticed a course can be categoried. By default, we only got one category - Miscellaneous. The online help says that an administrator can setup categories. I logged in as Admin, but didn't seem to see anywhere that allowed me to create a category. I searched online. There are references to create a category programatically. But I wonder if I can create, update or delete a category as Admin.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Jason

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Mi

Re: Create/delete/update a category

by Manuel de la Torre -
Hi Jason,

Yes. As Admin you can create, update or delete a category. The way to do it depends on your Moodle version, but for Moodle 1.7 at the Site Administration follow the route: Courses -> Add/Edit courses

There at the top there is a box where you can type the new category and after you have to click the Add new category button.

To delete them you need to click on the X on the right side of the category in this same page.

To update them you just need to click on the category and there is a box where you can rename it.

met.

In reply to Manuel de la Torre

by Jason Mi -

Hi met,

Thanks for the response. I'm using 1.7.

I went back and logged as Admin. Then moved on to create a new course as you suggest. But I didn't seem to see an input box at the top for entering a new category. I only got a Category dropdown selection which only had one item, i.e. Miscellaneous. It looked like this (I only cut/pasted the first few input items here. KLAA is just my moodle home page name).

Really appreciate your help,

Jason

-------------------------

KLAA

You are logged in as Admin User (Logout)

Edit course settings

Category: Miscellaneous Help, Category
Full name: Help, Full name
In reply to Jason Mi

by Jeff Herman -
I already have Categories in my site, and I can't remember what it looked like originally, however, after you've created a course, navigating to Site Administration > Courses > Add/edit courses should bring you to a screen that lists your created courses, and at the top of the screen gives a blank field and a button labeled "Add new category". Once you add the category, you may move the courses into that category. From this point forward, you may add a categories independent of creating courses.
Attachment Category.jpg
In reply to Jeff Herman

by Jason Mi -

Jeff,

Thanks a lot! After I created my first course under the default category Miscellaneus, I can see the UI for creating category when going back to edit the course. Maybe there is a way to create categories without having to create the first course, but at least the scenario gets me going.

Thanks again,

Jason