Restricting 'student' access - please help...

Restricting 'student' access - please help...

by jayne morgan -
Number of replies: 8

I hope you can help me with this query - we want to restrict the student role on the site so that students can only see the content of courses that we have enrolled them on (i.e. their timetabled courses), so that they are unable to access resources on other courses on the site (e.g. we don't want all students being able to see the performance work of students that has been posted on the Performance Studies course as a resource for an evaluation exercise). Is there a straightforward way of doing this? Do I have to make the default page the '.../my' option for students, or is there a better way to do this?

Your help is much appreciated.

regards

jayne

Average of ratings: -
In reply to jayne morgan

Re: Restricting 'student' access - please help...

by Klaus Mueller -
Hi Jayne
Usually students only see content of their own courses.

some questions to better understand your problem:
- Did you gave everybody the role "student" on system level?
- Do you protect courses by an access key?
- what students are listed in the participant list of the course (only those which should be in the course or also others?

Best regards
klaus

In reply to Klaus Mueller

by jayne morgan -

Thank you for your points.  What you raise is really interesting, and had crossed my mind: This is the weird thing -

- students were added within courses: enrolled from our College system, not site-wide. Thus, when you look at the 'assign roles' options there are no students given that role (as it should be). Problems seemed to arise when we gave all teachers 'guest' status (administered from the 'assign roles' admin option) so that they could see what other staff were doing on their courses.  One option I am now trying is to remove 'guest' access, and assign all teachers as 'non-editing teachers' on the site.

- we haven't protected the courses with an access key - would that affect any other roles (e.g. the non-editing teachers)?  Do you recommend it? We might try that - I have a long Moodle day ahead of me tomorrow!

- when I look at the particpants list, it is only the subject-enrolled students visible, alongside teachers and admin...  That's why I found the problem so strange.

I think tomorrow we may go back to basics and disable guest access, then try assigning roles again...

Thank you for your feedback.

j

In reply to jayne morgan

by Klaus Mueller -
Hi
maybe some of my ideas can help a little:

- guests - In the settings of your course you can define whether guests are allowed to visit the course or not. I do always switch that off because I don't want, that foreigners can look in the courses. Discussions etc. should be IMHO private to the course. maybe that is the reason of your problem, because everybody has automatically the status guest (as far as I understand roles wink ) ?

- access-key - if it is usefull or not depends on your course's general settings. if you allow students to enrole themselves the access-key defines a password which must be known to subscribe to the course. Else everybody in the world (depending to your general setting of how moodle accounts are managed) could subsribe to your courses. The combination of allowing students to enrole themselves and the access-key reduces the administrative overhead of assigning students to the courses manually and keeps security.

- giving teachers a role on system level - hmmm why is it important that every teacher has access to the course? Each trainer of each course has the right to assign the teacher role to other participants if needed.

Best regards
klaus
In reply to Klaus Mueller

by jayne morgan -

Hi Klaus

Thank you for your points.  I have tried restricting access to 'guests allowed with key', then setting a key for a course.  However, when students try to enrol, it won't allow themto. I've tried searching for info on key setting, but haven't found a solution to this. The course is set to  'enrollable', so I don't understand why a key won't work.

Any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated!

cheers

jayne

In reply to jayne morgan

by Klaus Mueller -
What are your settings for:
  • Enrolment Plugins (should be : internal enrolement)
  • Course enrollable (should be : yes)
  • Availability (should be : available to students)
  • Enrolment key (should be not empty)
Best regards
klaus
In reply to jayne morgan

by Fred Quay -
Hi, Jayne

New Moolde 1.7 roles and capabilities territories promise new frontiers and make the journey difficult for any of us. For my part, I didn't succeed to create a simple new role to extend students rights, in simple site context and I can't conclude why.

Forgive such introduction : I insist on the necessity not to work on managing roles in so numerous contexts where it is possible : from site to category, from course to activity modules, from inherit to authorize, in most cases, interactions are so fluid and difficult to analyze.

For my part, I built my small site ( 2 classes, 45 K8-11 pupils, 14 meta-courses and 4 courses) on a solid structure, and don't touch anything since. It works as solid as I can grade :
No guests allowed , as long as I don't master Roles and capabilities. Guest button hidden
No enrollment keys in meta-course, but enrollment key in Portals only.
Portal Course enrollable : no, or date range only, when school year begins. Could be opened in organization wher turnover is frequent, by enrollment key frequently changed..
Meta-courses enrollable : no, never. If I don't mistake, one a learner/teacher is enrolled in his/her portal, he can enter in relevant meta-courses which declare due descendant course hes/she is enrolled in.
Nobody enrolled at site level, but : titular/principal class teacher as non editing teacher (optional if you don't want them to moodle in their collegues meta-courses ) and one virtual avatar by class (TeacherClass1, TeacherClass2, etc...), dedicated to be endossed by short term teacher, in place of absent titular, as non editing teacher. At the moment, I just can't see how it is useful to enroll at site level, since no sub-enrollment observed, but that is my own failure I guess.
  • one course category -Portals- with 3 Portal courses, dedicated to enroll learners and teachers : One portal by class and one portal for titular teacher (role Teacher), one portal for short term teaching staff (role non editing teacher).
  • If I create a private course for short term teacher, I do use it as descendant course to enroll him/her in relevant course(s) he/she is intended to work in but remain alerted that his/her teacher role in his own private course, could be reduced to non editing teacher in meta-courses he/she teaches..
  • Any other courses are meta-courses. In one to three clicks, descendant courses are set up to allow entrance : to learners and teachers.

What might be decided : should I enroll titular/principal class teacher in the pupil class portal and create a teacher virtual avatar to be endossed by short term tacher teaching in place of titular ? The answer is Yes since it is coherent that titular/principal teacher edits resources both in his/her class portal and in meta-courses dedecated to his/her class. So I enroll principal/titular teachers twice : once at site level, as non editing teacher, and once in their class portal, as teacher with whole due editing capabilities of the function.

I created a demonstration (french speaking, sorry) site, http://moodest.virelibre.eu cloned from my real one, with pupils anonymized. Its structure is not yet at the level I just described, because of delay in update, but it could help to visualize my propositions.
You can access demo moodest.virelibre.eu site endossing virtual teacher ( ID, passs : profc3 profc3) or virtual pupil (ID, passs : eleve eleve).

If someone would notice misconception of my own, I would be grateful to know : after 15 monthes learning Moodle basis, I want to work at the nearest from Moodle structure.
Hope it could help.

Attachment VirelibreCategorieDeCoursAnnotation.jpg
In reply to Fred Quay

by jayne morgan -

Dear Fred

Thank you so much for your response.  I have passed the information on to my technical support guy who will try this out.  We have had many problems with 'enrollment' and it looks like others have too - my tech support is tracking various bugs in 1.7.

Your site looks very well designed.

j

In reply to jayne morgan

by Fred Quay -
Hi, Jayne,

Today I conducted two simple tests (Passed) :

New pupil
: I opened Class 3 Portal course to enrollment right with date range : "02/02/07 to 02/03/07", a new pupil enrolled in Class 3 Portal after delivering Portal key. At the second, any courses (I mean meta-courses) his class has been subscribed (as descendent course), are at his fingertips.
This pupil tried to enter others Portal course, wich refused to let him in, since enrollment is closed (should it be opened, he should have given enrollment key).

New teacher : I experienced the same protocol with new user to be a new teacher : he enrolled in Teachers portal course after Admin has opened enrollment and his key delivering , and got access to any due meta-courses AS NON EDITING TEACHER, since I declared Teachers' Portal course defaut role to be so when I created the course. (and forgot to mention yesterday, and do not know how to access that parameter now that the course is created). Very useful !